Default Rate Limiting Step in Stowing Sugar Syrup in Comb

This must be in literature but have not been able to find it.

What is the slowest step for honey bees transferring sugar syrup from jars into cells for storage?

This time of year with poorly provisioned colonies I am gearing up to feed more aggressively than with previous years to promote increases through splitting and a couple induced early season swarms. Typically I feed only token amounts as weaker colonies would have been removed in previous fall but this round the effort will be more intense. When doing such now as when the brood rearing is getting ready to start, the temperature allowing such are fickle often with only a couple good days in a row before resumption of lower temperatures. I know from experience that opening number on a single feeder jar, within limits of the space available for bees to occupy, can be rate limiting. I have sufficient jars to make so each colony of interest can have as many as three jars. Will having more than one jar per colony speed process or will some other process step be rate limiting?

Nukes going into winter earlier seemed to invest in lots of processing that dispersed and likely warmed cluster for several days after each bout of feeding. Now that brood rearing with be ramping up it seems that the bees will not be so disrupted by the feeding.

Default Re: Rate Limiting Step in Stowing Sugar Syrup in Comb

I'm not sure anybody knows the answer to your question. But when I want to move a lot of feed in a hurry, we comb feed. Filling comb with sugar water lets literally thousands of bees move feed at the same time.

Walt

Default Re: Rate Limiting Step in Stowing Sugar Syrup in Comb

I have done that but requires opening hive and takes a lot of time. Would be more interesting if the comb so used could be more thoroughly saturated with syrup.