Default If I order Carniolians can I use large foundation with small cell bees?

If I order Carnolians can I use large foundation with small cell bees?

Default Re: If I order Carniolians can I use large foundation with small cell bees?

Yes.

Just wondering what lies behind your question though, small cell bees are harder to get and likely more expensive, how come you going about this in such a way?

Default Re: If I order Carniolians can I use large foundation with small cell bees?

Why would you want to do that? Go foundation less and let them build what they want. Like oldtimer said, you pay more for small cell bees than "regular" bees.

--delete--

Since you are going to use foundation anyway, why don't you just order small cell foundation. The difference in price is insignificant. I'm curious what's behind the question too.
    To everything there is a season....

My opinion is that if you put your bees on large cell foundation it will be something you regret down the road. As has been previously stated, let them draw natural comb or buy small cell foundation. If you already bought large cell foundation use it as starter strips for natural comb or later in your honey supers. I enjoy having all small cell bees for reasons that are all my own.
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Facebook Page

Kept bees on a combination of small foundation and foundation less frames for several years, without treating, with no problems.

Then I moved cross continent, leaving my hives and starting over. The hive I got is large cell...and has had some severe mite issues.

I think small cell contributed to my former success...though there have been no studies on long term small cell use to support that.

It may have been just the clean, pesticide free comb that resulted from never using miticides.

But if I had small cell comb, I'd use it...and in the brood chamber, I'd use foundation less frames.

If you do that, the bees will draw drone comb until they have a couple frames in a box (10-20% of comb per colony) and then make worker comb.

That,s a good thing, despite those drones not making honey.

Those drones make bees, and bees make honey.

Many of those drones will contribute yo the feral bee population, and a more diverse gene pool there, so when,/if you catch swarms, they will be better bees.

Plus, foundation less aves journal a buck or more per frame...and frames/foundation are the single most expensive component of your hive.

Have fun.
    Enjoy your bees.

To answer you're question, yes it will work. But I agree with everyone else, why?
    I took 13 small cell hives into winter, & they are all still alive. chemical free
    Dan

I went into winter with 20 small cell, non treated hives, no losses thus far either
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Facebook Page

Read Tonybayer1's post again and I see he is just new, the question does look like he has got the impression that all carniolans are small cell, although with no further response from Tony it's hard to know.

I see Tony has not been back. However if you are still interested in the conversation Tony, not all carniolans are small cell.

Care to clarify?

Good catch OT.

Tony, we would like to hear from you. This is a friendly crowd, here to help.
    To everything there is a season....