Default Tangential Vs. Radial extration speed?

I'm looking at getting a new extractor next year, or this Fall, I currently have a small 2 frame tangential that was given to me years ago. I now have 6 hives...and that means I can pull more than a couple hundred frames in a good spring or fall harvest. I have no plans to expand past 8 hives.

I am looking at hand crank models primarily. Notably the Dadant 4 frame "little wonder", the walter kelley 3 frame tangential, and the maxant 3100H.

My question is, will I save time by going radial? It seems that the centripetal force is better applied with the tangential extractor; and the little wonder is cheaper.
    I have heard that one has to "spin" combs longer with radial extractors. Is this the case?

Also is radial extraction more or less likely to blowout combs than tangential?

Thanks much

Default Re: Tangential Vs. Radial extration speed?

Radial extraction is much faster than tangential.
    No flipping frames, or reversing spin. As far as blow outs, dont extract like a wild man in terms of speed, faster isnt always better with smaller extractors.
    On average, you can extract 6 mediums/shallows with our 3100H in about 8-12 minutes depending on temperature.
    What is nice about the 3100 is the basket is designed to allow you to extract radial or tangential, either together, or seperately.
    www.maxantindustries.com
    American made Honey Processing Equipment "Built to last a lifetime"

Quote Originally Posted by MAXANT View Post
    As far as blow outs, dont extract like a wild man in terms of speed, faster isnt always better with smaller extractors.
    How many cranks per minute is the best?

Kingfisher

I dont know of a formula for that, as there as to many variables.
    www.maxantindustries.com
    American made Honey Processing Equipment "Built to last a lifetime"

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher Apiaries View Post
    How many cranks per minute is the best?

Kingfisher
    You don't have to worry about blowout as much with radials. I'm sure that whatever model you get, you'll settle in at about the right speed. The extractors I've tried all seem to settle in at a "maintenance" speed that moves along well but where I'm not frantically pushing it either.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO