Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Hobby Extractor advise needed, Datant or SAF or ?

Make sure you get a good warranty too!
    www.maxantindustries.com
    American made Honey Processing Equipment "Built to last a lifetime"

HoneyMaple: That sounds about like my experience. We got it down to less than 10 min. for 2 frames with the flipping and all.

Kingfisher: I think I was leaning towards the Dadant because it is USA made and it might be easier to get support after the warranty goes away. I plan to have this unit for a long time.

JbFord: I'm no spring chicken and I did feel the burn. I may take this out to locations where no power is available so the ability to hand crank is a must. I have been looking at the next models up or the Maxant 3100 for the option of future power upgrade. I heard the wisdom and am setting up an 8 frame as we speak.

Ross: To late I already have a garage full of tools/junk which I must now rearrange to fit the new extractor. I might step up to the Maxant or larger Dadant, 6 frame though.

JPK, Maxant: I hear you guys loud and clear. I have been talking to Jake at Maxant and they may be able to hook me up with a display demo. I can live with a few minor blems and am willing to step up with extra cash. Over the long run a little more money up front will get me what I would really want as opposed to settling for a compromise. From what I have been reading about people going through extractor upgrades, that would seem to be the smart money.

Update: Well Jake at Maxant came through with a demo unit. He says it's as new and the price was just low enough to make me grit my teeth and step up. My wife was surprisingly understanding about shelling out yet more cash for something we will only use a couple times of year. Reminding her about the crush method of harvest helped change her mind. Last year I had the pleasure of looking at the 3100H in person, in all its stainless steel-art glory. Just a beautifully made product. I will probably keep this in the living room as an end table next to my easy chair . Thanks for all the responses and help from BeeSource forum users!
    Last edited by ehallspqr; 05-10-2010 at 03:38 PM.

Shipped out today!
    www.maxantindustries.com

I ordered my 3100P this morning. It was easy to make the decision to buy it after a short discussion with Jake. I am looking forward to trying it out.

Shipped out today!
    www.maxantindustries.com

Does the 3100H have a horizontal crank?

If so, I'm not sure I would care for it.
    BeeCurious
    5 hives and 8 nucs................... Trying to think inside the box...

Default Re: Hobby Extractor advise needed, review Maxant with photos

Quote Originally Posted by BeeCurious View Post
    Does the 3100H have a horizontal crank?

If so, I'm not sure I would care for it.
    Hello BC, the horizontal top crank vs. the side crank was brought up in a previous reply. I never thought about it before but the extractor I had been using is a top crank model. I really have no idea which I'd prefer? Perhaps the side cranking as on the Dadant would be a more natural movement for most people? Well the Maxant 3100H has a top crank so I guess I will see how this goes. If it's too much for me I can always get the motor upgrade or install my own motor down the road. There is an excellent Youtube Video showing the 3100H in operation. The 4 to 1 pulley system really get the frames spinning with what appears to be moderate effort on the part of the operator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5gkr...os=fhHyuNE6gmw

We arrived home after being away for a couple days and as the car pulled into the driveway my heart skipped a beat. There on the front porch where two large shipping box's and I was sure that our shinny new Maxant extractor was in one of said boxes. After dragging them inside we proceeded to open the smaller of the two. It was filled with bee supplies I had ordered from Blue Sky. Exciting but the second box was, ta da, the Maxant! Just like Christmas except Santa wears brown or blue around here. I have nothing but good things to say about Jake and Maxant's service. They shipped next day and the SH was only $53 from Massachusetts all the way to Washington State. No worries about packing with a heavy double walled cardboard box with reinforced corners. They also knocked a decent amount off the price since this was their showroom demo but honestly, other than some dust and a couple insignificant marks it was perfect. The construction is as I remembered, top quality, heavy duty made in the good old USA. I really like the belt drive system that it has vs. a gear-drive. Buttery smooth, quiet and man does it spin fast & with some force. I'll be posthumously giving this to someone someday as I'm sure it will outlast me. Even my wife admitted that we made a great choice despite spending about $100 more than our initial budget. I'm sure we would have been quite happy with either the Dadant or SAF also, as they look to be quality units. However I'm glad things worked out and I was able to get the Maxant. Anyone sitting on the fence about a hobbyist size extractor would do well to check out Maxant's small extractor. It's a bigger unit than most hobby Beeks would ever require but that's a plus should your needs grow and as pointed out, if you where to sell, it will probably retain its value very strongly. Well I'll start planning this summer's extraction party. Some photos of the Maxant 3100H below.

Even the wife had to admit it's a very nice Extractor. Here she's checking it out and even caught her smiling a little. This will make extracting fast and easy. No more crush and strain.

Last edited by ehallspqr; 05-22-2010 at 02:44 PM. Reason: edit image to comply with posting guidlines

Just got done spinning 11 gallons with our new 3100p model. It worked great. Now we need a better uncapper (takes hours to uncap 60 frames with a cappings scratcher.)

Jbford,

You ought to be ashamed... I only use a scratcher and I guarantee that I can do 60 frames in 2 hrs tops. And, on top of that, I'm an old man. After that it is only 8-10 minutes to spin out a load.

Thanks for sharing the pictures! I do hope you find many years of enjoyment from your Maxant.
    As long as the wife is smiling thats all that matters......(for me anyway hahaha)
    www.maxantindustries.com

my first extractor was a hand crank 9 frame radial that had a lot of plastic on it. while it was easier on the bank account, for myself it was not one of the better equipment decisions i have made looking back on it. the following year i bought a Maxant 20 frame extractor with a Dayton 1/3HP motor on it. Very happy with the Maxant and their customer service. They also called me up a few days after receiving the extractor to make sure everything was working properly.

I just recently ordered a 600 series bottling tank from Maxant. I had the same positive experience with the presales questions/research and expect to be using a fine quality bottling tank within the next week that will help make our small operation more efficient. Time is a critical resource for us since beekeeping is a sideline business separate from a full time job. The extra bucks for the quality and customer service is worth the invesment imho.
    Hughes Honey Apiary
    http://www.hugheshoney.com

I just got my Maxant 3100H - one comment

My plastic frames (medium) only fit tangentially, not in the radial positions - the slots are too narrow. I assume that shallow frames wouldn't work if the basket accomodated these mediums. The wood ones work fine. The plastic frames are wider farther down. I guess I will have to cut down the plastic ones.
    JG

My plastic frames seemed to fit not perfect but OK. (Pierco and Mann Lake)

The basket design is a bit tight for those really "fat" frames that are drawn out too far.

Best to use a knife to uncap and trim the really fat combs instead of the scratcher. Then they spin out fine. Don't want to put them back on the bees all uneven anyway.