Default My swarm hive has no queen

My hive swarmed recently, and when I caught it and transferred it to their permanent home I think something happened. I must have killed the queen on accident or something. I opened it up about a week later and the bottom left of the hive is covered in sugar syrup (it wasn't even close to the feeder, strangely). And 2 frames have a bunch of queen cells. There's about 5 or 6 cells with brood in them. I'm wondering if the queen laid those cells and then died? I didn't see eggs anywhere. Just sugar water honey.

Some of the queen cells were closed but most looked empty. I'm wondering if I should just order a queen or let them build one?

Default Re: My swarm hive has no queen

Let them do it naturally. Check again in a few days or a week and see if the new virgin queen has emerged. Then let them alone for another week and check for eggs.

I like open-mated mutt queens personally. They don't always turn out to be great, but when they don't you can just pinch her and let them make another... and then you can put the old one in rubbing alcohol and make some QMP swarm lure for yourself.

I tend to think that having those mixed genetics with ferral bees in the mix that have been able to survive without treatments is benefitial to the liklihood of your hive's long-term survival and treatment needs. Plus, a purchased queen, although they can be fairly cheap, is still an extra expense that's not necessary.

If you have queen cells at this point, I think I'd just let them raise their own. Best of luck!
    "My child, eat honey, for it is good." (Proverbs 24:13)

How long does it take for a new queen to emerge from those cells?

16 days +/- from the egg being laid to emerging. 5 days+/- from egg hatching to sealed cell. 8 days +/- from sealed cell to emerging. 5-10 days after emergence, normally, for a virgin to mate and begin egg laying.