Default New Hives and New Bees Tomorrow!

First off, super stoked on life, driving up tomorrow to pickup my 2 packages of bees. My first hives! Have some KTBH setup and I am sure they are gonna love all the snow we have here in Montana, it was 33 and had 4 inches of snow on the ground where I live, but at least the hive site (different town, moving soon) has no snow. But nothing I can do.

My only real question is in regards to when they are first installed: I have the standard 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" bars for them, and was wondering when I first install them, should I just have exclusively 1/4" for 10 or so bars, and then once they start finding nectar later on place in the 1/2"? I think I am going to place a follower board the first week, give them less dead air space to heat until they get a little bit of comb on. And thinking of using 1/4" bars for the first month till stuff really starts to bloom up.

If anyone has any input on combinations of starting package bar arrangements, I will be happy to hear it.
    "Only be sorry for the things you can't change." -Me
    -p -> -q "Don't Be sorry for the things you can change" -Me

Default Re: New Hives and New Bees Tomorrow!

I would put the 1 1/4" bars at the front and the 1 1/2" at the back. I would put the bees in and direct release the queen.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beespackages.htm

In a few days I'd check and see where they are. If they are on the 1 1/2" bars I'd take one bar at a time out and put the 1 1/4" bars in their place until the cluster is on 1 1/4" bars.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Michael,

Slightly off-topic here, but I've been all over the internet looking for simple TBH plans and found yours, thanks! You don't indicate anywhere that I've seen that you use a follower/division board in your TBH. Is there not a valid use for them, as in BozoBee's wanting to reduce the initial volume of space that his girls must regulate/heat/ventilate/exasperate, etc.?

Not being a carpenter, I tried to hybridize your plan with another one that DOES explain the building of follower boards, but it's a mess

Thanks!

Peace,
    Joseph

So installed them in today, and was nice at about a high of 49. Tomorrow it might be a bit warmer, but these nights it's going to drop below 30, I think tonights low is expected to hit 25 and tomorrows high is 55. What I did for a follower board is just a cut piece of cardboard slipped in. Nothing fancy or made to last, just something to control the volume of air they work with until they become a bit more established and a bit warmer weather. Mostly waiting for a first bit of comb to be set on bars then will slide it back or get rid of it all together.
    "Only be sorry for the things you can't change." -Me
    -p -> -q "Don't Be sorry for the things you can change" -Me

Yea the cardboard is a good idea especially if its a temp situation, like if its cold or they build the wrong way ect.

Cardboard is a BRILLIANT!! suggestion ... can stay cardboard for short-term/temporary usage, or become template for more permanent wood follower!

Thanks guys!!

Peace,
    Joseph

>Slightly off-topic here, but I've been all over the internet looking for simple TBH plans and found yours, thanks!

You are welcome.

> You don't indicate anywhere that I've seen that you use a follower/division board in your TBH.

Because I don't.

> Is there not a valid use for them

Sure.

> as in BozoBee's wanting to reduce the initial volume of space that his girls must regulate/heat/ventilate/exasperate, etc.?

Great idea. But I wasm making the simpliest hive, not the fanciest and I'm too lazy to make one...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF