Hybrid View

Default May or June swarms

My experience with packages is they are "lazy" - slow start; probably because there's no nectar available here when packages from the south are available. But, your late-May or June swarms should arrive right on time!

Want to buy 2-6 swarms. Hopefully for less than $100 (incl. freight to Alaska) each.

Natural or artificial, so long as formed by a natural impulse. Yes! This means last year's queen is okay! Please cage her, though, for shipping - don't need them building a hive out of the shipping container.

No frames. Alaska outright bans import of "used" hive equipment.
    The World Beehive Project - I build one of every popular beehive in the world!

Default Re: May or June swarms

not to shoot your idea in the foot or anything, but.....
    a swarm placed in a shipping container, without a queen will still build comb on the inside of it. the nature of a swarm is to fill up on honey before leaving, and when they get where they are going to produce comb NOW!!!!!!
    I picked up a swarm yesterday, and drove 20 min to the yard to install, didn't think too much of it. but there was comb started inside the box.
    welcome to your new addiction!!

My experience with packages is they are "lazy" - slow start; probably because there's no nectar available here when packages from the south are available.

Use a fruit tree sprayer to fill combs with syrup. Then your bees have a nectar flow inside the hive they can build up on. By the time your flow hits, they should be getting nice and strong.

Thanks for the tip. Personal experience indicates that this technique is equally as effective as providing a lump of soft fondant in the hive (location also apparently matters not).

Still hoping to receive a few swarms. PM me, please. The state may allow import of bees on NEW equipment (nucleus). Will have to consult departmen
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 05-08-2010 at 03:41 PM. Reason: UNQ
    The World Beehive Project - I build one of every popular beehive in the world!