Question Installing a new queen-foundationless hive

Hello all. After installing a 3# package of bees and queen last week into a new TBH, I found the queen (marked and clipped wings) about 10ft from the hive with a small cluster of bees around her. Couldn't tell at the time if she was alive or not, decided to get my veil and do a thorough check....possibly put her back in the hive if she was still alive. About the same time, the heavens opened and we had quite a thunderstorm. After the storm passed I went back to where the cluster of bees were...no bees anymore, but a dead queen on the ground. I don't know if they killed her, or she died out in the storm...at any rate I had to order a new queen, due here tomorrow.

QUESTION - Since this is a new queen (coming from Drapers), I will not attempt a direct release. Should I dangle her cage from the bars, or place her cage on the bottom of the hive? I presume I should wait about 4 days before checking to see if she has been released, and if not, release her.

Any advice much appreciated.

Default Re: Installing a new queen-foundationless hive

dangle or on bottom, makes little difference. if you dont have a preference, follow the directions that come with the queen or call the suplier and ask their preference. 4 days is good, if shes not out, observe the bees around her- are they sticking their tounges through the screen (feeding her) or biting at the wire or even trying to sting her? if so wait a few more days. good luck,mike
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin