Thread: Vhs queens

Default Vhs queens

Does anyone have experience with the VHS queens from Walter T. Kelley or other queen breeders producing similar queens? Swarming, spring build up, temperment, etc?

Default Re: Vhs queens

You can check out VSHbreeders.org for more info. Glenn apiaries sells breeder queens, and VP queens out of Maryland. I bought mine local from someone who bought breeder queens from both of these breeders. Just put mine in this weekend. Waiting to see how she does.

I've heard nothing but good things from them. The researchers over the VSH program say not to buy into the idea that most people say that they are too hygenic. They have bred these bees to not be over active in removing brood.
    Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless.
    Thomas A. Edison

Default Re: Vhs queens

Quote Originally Posted by TXbeekeeper View Post
    Does anyone have experience with the VHS queens from Walter T. Kelley or other queen breeders producing similar queens? Swarming, spring build up, temperment, etc?
    I have 2 new VSH/SMR Queens from Shamrock S [Shad Sullivan]. They are very easy to work. The queens tend to run on the combs but the bees are gentle. Usually work them without a veil. Queens are mated to Russian/VSH drones supposedly. They are building up very rapidly and act like Italians in that regard. So far I'm very happy with them. I do notice that they keep the hive cleaner than my Italians, which is a good sign for the VSH trait. Have not seen any pulled brood, but the packages were filled with Australian bees and should have been mite-less.