Default Package install question

I'm new to beekeeping, made two TBHs and have ordered to packages for pickup in 3 weeks. My apiary is in a side yard of my property, and will be inside an 8x12 foot fenced area which is centered in a 1/4 acre lot. Yes, the 8x12 was a negotiated point wig the wife; no chance of expanding that.

A few questions I have:

1). I'm participating in a group buy of bees with a club - if I pick up my bees in the evening should I be installing them as soon as I get home or wait for morning?

2). Two hives, two packages...an 8x12 area: is that too close for the confusion of new bees and new hives? Should I move one hive outside the fenced are for an initial period and move it back (slowly, gradually) once the bees get acclimated to their respective hives?

Default Re: Package install question

You need to see what you are doing, so that means 'daylight', but installing late in the day while there is still light is a good time. Once it gets dark the bees are at least going to stay for the night.

I'd leave both hives inside the fenced area. You can't separate them enough to make any difference anyway.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I would install package during afternoon when sun light is available. There would be lot of commotion for your first time installing package so the last thing you want is darkness. For example, I opened the cork on the wrong end of queen cage and lost my queen first time! Also if you have to keep the package overnight then keep it inside the house where temperature is regulated.

Hive separated by few inches to 2 mile are functionally same to the bees. Keep the hives inside the fence.

1. Bees dont care keep them inside the fence
    2. If you can see what you are doing its light enough
    3. This is optional: move wife to fenced area put bees in living room.

Just kidding

Your wife is going to be upset when she finds out that the bees won't stay inside the fence.
    Keith- Since 2013 - treatment agnostic - 4 hives - Zone 7a - Central Virginia

Hahaha - the fence is really for keeping the lawn guys away, and maybe the neighborhood kids too.