Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Householder Method Honey Production

How full were those supers?

Reminder Re: Householder Method Honey Production

I produced just over 161,000 lbs and just over 4500 supers. So right around 35 lb. avg. per super. Thats the true Householder Method of Honey Production Numbers.

I watched the first video where you were filling division board feeders in the deep and you were putting on a queen excluder and supers. Dosen't this allow the bees to store sugar syrup in your supers?

-Dan

Generally the feeders are removed prior to the flow.

Which gives the bees enough time to eat the syrup.

Quote Originally Posted by The Honey Householder View Post
    I produced just over 161,000 lbs and just over 4500 supers. So right around 35 lb. avg. per super. Thats the true Householder Method of Honey Production Numbers.
    My question was for Countryboy, who mentions how many supers he got, but not how much honey was in them. Watching the video, the supers don't look buldging full.

Some of the supers were fuller than others - it wasn't uncommon for the outside frames to still be undrawn. I'm still expanding, so drawn comb is something I don't have enough of. I would have 3 or 4 frames of drawn comb, and the rest foundation or foundationless, so the bees had to draw quite a bit of wax. (That's why the boxes had so many frames in them.) My total average was almost 20 pounds a box. We had a really good fall flow.

I didn't mention the weight of the boxes because the video is to show the method, and drawn comb or foundation for supers has a big effect on production.

Hello! I wanted to ask you about the spraying of the sugar water syrup on the frames of drawn comb. Do you spray them and then let them drip dry before putting them in the box? You mentioned that it was thin enough to go through a garden sprayer. Would that be about 1:1 syrup?
    Thanks for your posts and videos. Very helpful!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12