Default Unanswered questions/postings quick-link and a FAQ's project

Barry,

Would it be possible to add a quick-link to postings without replies. Some people might find it helpful.

Another thing which could be interesting, and stir up some debate would be the creation of a FAQ's forum. Members could propose solutions to a variety of beekeeping questions/situations and perhaps polls could be used to serve as a guide to beeks who need to choose a response that they are comfortable with. The benefits are twofold; the current knowledge would be gathered on specific topics, resulting in a great resource and secondly, experienced beekeepers would have more time to respond to additional questions, perhaps one of the "unanswered postings" for example.

The FAQ forum could serve as a permanent mill to "separate the wheat from the chaff".

Maybe "Beesource" could write a beekeeping book eventually... with a little help from your friends.

Joe
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Default Re: Unanswered questions/postings quick-link and a FAQ's project

An FAQ would be a fine project. I've been meaning to do it. One could mine the archives for a lot of the material, or do as you say and simply start an FAQ forum from scratch. You want to spearhead it?
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    You want to spearhead it?
    I may be able to do that.

The archives are full of beekeeping nuggets but the most useful procedure may be to start with the most pressing issues and then try to move ahead of the season with the topics. Informed beekeepers would need to weigh in. This couldn't / shouldn't be simply a popularity contest... For certain problems there is often one best answer. Other situations may have a number of equally elegant (or messy) solutions.

I think this could be a valuable addition to Beesource and the final FAQ would present any number of solutions, but presented in order of their general acceptance by practicing beekeepers.

It's the little variables that make things complicated, and that is where we students need the help of the experienced beeks in the active forums. The FAQ section while being a less fluid resource, it would be "plastic" in its ability to change as beekeeping changes.

Spearheading sounds easy, it's the momentum that gets the job done.

It would be nice to hear some suggestions...

Joe
    BeeCurious

A faq is a big project, and a faq for who? For the backyard beekeeper, or the queen producer? For the beekeeper in Texas or the Vancouverman? Maybe a"valuable post" VP and "most valuable post" MVP or something like that is easier to begin with, and go from there

Quote Originally Posted by Santos View Post
    A faq is a big project, and a faq for who? For the backyard beekeeper, or the queen producer? For the beekeeper in Texas or the Vancouverman? Maybe a"valuable post" VP and "most valuable post" MVP or something like that is easier to begin with, and go from there
    This is a curious first post...

In my opinion, it would require more copying and pasting, preferably by the experienced beekeeper responding to a question in a forum, then any heavy lifting. It's obvious that every variable won't be addressed in a FAQ section.

MVP's seems to be as good or better than FAQ's but perhaps it wouldn't be as easily recognized. I like the idea of a "Most Valuable Post" forum.

For a lot of members, I believe the most valuable postings right now concern the start-up of new hives, the introduction of queens, and swarm prevention.

A FAQ section would be a sizable project, but it wouldn't be BIG until it passed through an entire beekeeping year.
    BeeCurious

Would a wiki have a place in this project? I believe someone has proposed or even begun one outside of Beesource.
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Digman View Post
    Would a wiki have a place in this project?
    I believe someone has proposed or even begun one outside of Beesource.
    While I was originally against the idea of a separate "wiki" for beekeeping, that format would allow contributors to maintain their own inputs/updates. The problem is that it would be much more complicated than just copying/pasting.

I have tried to encourage informed beekeepers to contribute to Wikipedia. My feelings are that the amassed knowledge should be in the safest possible place. If a beewiki can disappear because someone got tired of paying $12 a month for their server it's a big waste.

I don't know what would be the best. We would want the most experienced beekeepers to contribute, but without it being burdensome to them.

If the system here permits another layer (or layers) it would help to classify topics.

Joe
    BeeCurious

For what it's worth, Santos was on to something I was thinking about before reading his post. This sounds like a great idea/project, is it possible to set it up by region. When I first discovered this forum it took a while to remember to read the location of the poster in order to put the information into proper context. As a brand new (actual not yet) bee keeper this was a bit confusing back then and I still have to remind myself from time to time.

Thanks,
    Fred

I've got a wiki on the server already. However, I still think using the forum is a better way to do it. Perhaps the first step is coming up with a short list of questions?
    Regards, Barry

I've got a wiki on the server already. However, I still think using the forum is a better way to do it. Perhaps the first step is coming up with a short list of questions?
    This is the current seasonal shortlist IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeCurious View Post
    For a lot of members, I believe the most valuable postings right now concern the start-up of new hives, the introduction of queens, and swarm prevention.
    BeeCurious

OK, so let's put them into questions for the FAQ and I'll create a new Forum. Then you can enter them as new threads and we'll get this thing going. After some amount of discussion on each, we'll choose the best answer, keep it, delete the rest and close the thread.
    Regards, Barry

we'll choose the best answer, keep it, delete the rest and close the thread.

I would have prefered a number of "answers":
    For certain problems there is often one best answer. Other situations may have a number of equally elegant (or messy) solutions.
    What Would Santos Do?
    BeeCurious

Multiple answers can tend to confuse. There may be a place for that, but in general, the "right" answer needs to be the one left standing. It can include several options (answers) if it applies. Otherwise it's just another discussion.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by BeeCurious View Post
    This is a curious first post...
    I have read the forum a couple of months, soo... and this is interesting..

When I search for a answer to a question, I often search for posts made by a certain poster, who I previosly have found reliable. But these posters can be hard to find when you are new and a beginner. Thats what was in my mind when I made that first post. And maybe that posts can be more fun to read than a wiki with a faq. The personal touch is important, because beekeeping have so many variables, and therefore answers

Multiple answers can tend to confuse. There may be a place for that, but in general, the "right" answer needs to be the one left standing. It can include several options (answers) if it applies. Otherwise it's just another discussion.
    Maybe in that case it could help to make the "beewiki" with a couple of imaginary beekeepers in mind... because all the answers are already out there, the problem is to find the right answer for the situation you are in.
    And the right answer depends on whether time and/or cost is important for you and what climate you live in. There are of course other factors, but those are most important, in my opinion.