Thread: Queenless?

Default Queenless?

Two of my hives are scenting at the entrance.I might check them today.If i am queen-less,is it better to order new,or wait until i can snag some eggs from anothe hive?I am in alaska,just hived 2 days ago,released queens just before dark last night.Thanks,mike

Default Re: Queenless?

Where is the best place for queens,my packages are italians,i was hoping for russians.I am in alaska,is there a strain that would be better for me ?

Carnis are supposed to do better in colder climtes; shut down egg laying during a dearth, reserve stores in winter, fast spring build up. You might try a west coast supplier for faster shipping.

Exclamation Re: Queenless?

Do fresh hived(today is 3rd day) bees scent at the entrance of their hive,if they still have a queen? Local guy said its to early to tell.He said they are probablt scenting for the field workers.He said that if they havent drifted to the other hives ,then the queen is probably there.Our season is so shrt that i cant afford to make a mistake on this.I dont want to try and find the queen in a 5# package.They are clustered building comb. I did see the beginnings of a queen cell in on hive.I was hoping that maybe its just supercedure. Any help is appreciated!!!!!!!!! Thanks,mike

By scenting I am guessing you mean they are fanning at the entrance with their rear ends in the air? This is quite common after installing a package or a swarm in a new hive. I wouldn't worry about it too much. As soon as there is comb in the hive I'd look for eggs.

Cheers,
    Matt