Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: BEE BOX Machining Center

How about the tooling cost after just machining one days worth??? I been a machinist for 20 yrs and i know down time for any reason and tooling is killer when it comes to machines!...Good Luck!!

Hello Tom,

The rate the machine was running at the time the video was taken was about one panel every 12 sec(cycle time). That equals 560 BOXES in 8hrs. (see description at bottom of video)
    The owner has the machine tuned back so one man can run it. He stacks about 15 panels on the infeed, then restacks at the out feed. If it was running at 7 secs you would need two people, and they would have an easy day. We had this machine running at 6.5 seconds, for a short time, then the operator tuned it down. That equals about 960 boxes per day. I guaranteed my first machine to run at one panel every 15 seconds. Future machines will surpass 1200 boxes per day. Two person crew.

I spent about 9 months on the computer designing this one. I have been designing everything in Solidworks 3D cad for over 12 years.

Thanks for the interest, Hank

Honeybeekeeper,
    Ya. I'm a machinist too. Since 1974.

You are right. You cannot ignore tooling cost!

The dado blades are Freud. Nice blades.
    The first set is still on the machine. I inspected them about 2 weeks ago. The owner has run about 30,000 Boxes and they are still in good shape. I did see one chipped tooth there may be a couple more.

The machine required 13 sets of dados to get 10 sets at 1"(Spacers and such). I bored all of them to 1.250 inches for the larger arbor.
    I did try to talk the owner into using one piece cutters as it would make setup so much easier, and future machines will be equiped as such. Tooling cost is seperate. Better figure on about $1800 to equip this machine. I built the hand hold cutter and 2, 3/8 offset dados. The rabbet cutter is a 4" Amada. None of the cutters have been to the sharpener yet. The cutters will have a good long life.

Thanks, Hank

Hi Ron,

Resetting the machine for different panels takes about 15 minutes. Move a pin for the hieght size. Move the dado cutters in or out for the width. Readjust the infeed guides.

This machine can be used to make other boxes as well. Gift boxes, Product cases. Lots of possibilities. No reason the rabbet cutter can't changed and be used to make a groove for a bottom panel. But at the risk of getting off topic, the BEE BOX was what this machine was designed to make.

How is your honey straw machine? Is that the right name?

Hank

Hello everyone,
    Wow! It has been over a year since I shared the Bee Box Machine. The responce has been incredible.
    This is not a machine that everyone needs, or one that you make at the rate of one a week. But 5 have been sold.

I hope to display the machine at an as yet undetermined bee conference.
    Thanks so much to all for your interest.

Hank Bosman, Woodman Engineering
    Last edited by Barry; 08-18-2011 at 04:20 PM. Reason: edit request by poster

How much do these cost???

Depending on the options and if it is a 3 station or a 5 station, with tooling...
    50- $80,000.
    Would you like one or two?
    Hank

Quote Originally Posted by Topkick View Post
    Depending on the options and if it is a 3 station or a 5 station, with tooling...
    50- $80,000.
    Would you like one or two?
    Hank
    I bought this one already:

http://www.myoldtools.com/boxjoint/

Thanks, though.

Wow!
    This is the one I saw pictures of a year or more ago.
    Allow me to make a standing offer to buy this from you when you are ready to part with it.
    I would love to restore it. How about a little paint and pin striping. Awesome.

Thanks for sharing. Hank

Ha!
    I will trade you even up for one of your new ones!

Hello again everyone,
    I would like to share the latest Automatic bee box machine with all.

Since our first machine we have made major improvements.

Our latest machine has full cnc control of the router head enabling the machine to make 4 different styles of box
    construction. 5/8 top finger, 1 5/8 top finger, full size finger with through rabbet, and best of all
    the inset frame rest. The way to go as you can see.....here on youtube http://youtu.be/NHqUg7hQG-U

Enjoy
    Hank

That is really cool! I deal with the design and installation of automation like that at work. It's really neat to see it applied to something like this. Nicely done!

Brian
    Hobby Beekeeper - Second Year - Two Hives

Those machines are fantastic. The reality is that shipping the finished product is the killer.... I would say other than satisfaction of building it yourself, shipping cost is the driver for folks to build em in their garage....
    I dont want to sound negative at all, they look great and I bet they can pound em out fast with the greatest precision. I am envious of the handhold cutter for sure !

Rob

Thumbs Up Re: BEE BOX Machining Center

Well I have to say Hank, you have a nice product and I only wish I would have bought in back when you first email me about it. The bee box boom has been going on for a lot longer then I would have thought. Been in the bee business for over 30 years, and I've never seen bee box sell for the price they do. I'm sure with the improvement and increase cost, the price is up too. My wife said I've bought all the new toys for this year already.

Quote Originally Posted by The Honey Householder View Post
    Well I have to say Hank, you have a nice product and I only wish I would have bought in back when you first email me about it. The bee box boom has been going on for a lot longer then I would have thought. Been in the bee business for over 30 years, and I've never seen bee box sell for the price they do. I'm sure with the improvement and increase cost, the price is up too. My wife said I've bought all the new toys for this year already.
    I second this comment. A fantastic machine!! max2 ( Mech Eng retired to beekeeping)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12