Default Slovenian type Bee Houses

For the past few weeks I've taken interest in the possibility of building a Slovenian type bee house in my home apiary.
    I've done some research and they use a type of hive called an AZ Hive. The ones that are permanent in the building
    with either two or three stories to them and the frames pull out the back into the inside of the bee house.

I'm not thinking that I would really want that type of hive, possibly an internalized type of Lang each with it's own spot.

I'm wondering if anyone in the states, or canada has done something similar to this and how it worked for them.

I can see myself many upsides to the setup of this method, but also some downsides.

If you have done this or know someone that has, please chime in and tell experiences.

I'd also love to hear from anyone in Slovenia that has a bee house.
    Thomas Bartram - 43 - 8 F langs, 22 Italian & 21 Russian

Default Re: Slovenian type Bee Houses

Hey Dr, I'm from the Slovenian community in Chicago. We keep some hives at our church and our small group is a sub chapter of the Slovenian Beekeepers Association. I've been to Slovenia and checked out the AZ hives. The bee houses called "Cebelnjak" are nice but completely different than Langs. You work them from the back after you open cabinet style doors. Plans are available if you are interested. I've thought about trying to build one but do not have enough time to commit at this time. I am not aware of anyone in the states running AZ hives. I do have contacts with beekeepers and arcitechts that would be able to provide plans. If you would like to know more send me a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by stajerc61 View Post
    Hey Dr, I'm from the Slovenian community in Chicago. We keep some hives at our church and our small group is a sub chapter of the Slovenian Beekeepers Association. I've been to Slovenia and checked out the AZ hives. The bee houses called "Cebelnjak" are nice but completely different than Langs. You work them from the back after you open cabinet style doors. Plans are available if you are interested. I've thought about trying to build one but do not have enough time to commit at this time. I am not aware of anyone in the states running AZ hives. I do have contacts with beekeepers and arcitechts that would be able to provide plans. If you would like to know more send me a pm.
    stajerc61 - I've sent you a PM...
    Thomas Bartram - 43 - 8 F langs, 22 Italian & 21 Russian

Did you ever get plans for AZ hive? I would be interested too. Thanks

Same , are they online anywhere?

Another approach would be to make a style of bee shed as used by Anton Janscha:

In case you're not familiar with these bee-boxes, here's a graphic showing one upside down and opened-up.

As you can see in the first graphic, it's possible to place a second box above the first to form a super, for honey storage or colony expansion.

This style of hive has been resurrected in recent years by the "Bienenkiste" design which is proving very popular in Germany.

One question which still remains unanswered for me is, "how on earth were such hives inspected, when stacked like that inside a shed". Or perhaps they weren't ? But even if they were not routinely inspected, they must have been extremely heavy to move when loaded-up with honey.

The Bienenkiste design is improved in this regard, as honey can now be removed from the rear without disturbing the main section of the hive.

LJ

You can contact these people and buy AZ hives. http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...=slovenia+hive
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Little-John View Post

As you can see in the first graphic, it's possible to place a second box above the first to form a super, for honey storage or colony expansion. ...
    I do not believe they are stacked. The ones I have seen in Northeast Slovenia they are just single, long horizontal hives (sort of like small coffins).

Most ones I have seen the frames are perpendicular to the long sides, instead what is on the picture. They tend to make them frames which roll out, sort of like a kitchen drawer, or more like a filing cabinet.

The parallel kind I saw also rolled out (actually inward), but the side walls did not come backwards like in the picture. It was built into a truck trailer (i think it was a grain truck trailer), where the hives where facing on both sides out, with hallway in the middle, and the thing rolled inward into that hallway. (Terrible description, I know...)

Looked something like this, but bigger and two axles.
    publishwall_1427908362_2454180.jpg
    Last edited by gjt; 06-22-2015 at 08:06 AM. Reason: better image