Default What now? SHB welcoming party!

Installed my first bees from packages March 27. During first inspection a week or so later, I saw what appeared to be 1-2 SHB's in one (of three) hives, and since then have seen a few in all the hives. I hoped that as the bees expanded into the hive, they would take care of a "small" problem.
    Yesterday, I pulled out the board underneath the bottom board screen (what's it called - "sticky board"?) and saw the following:

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/y...ainzam/Hmm.jpg

Background: single deeps at the moment, with 6-7 frames drawn. SBB, baggie feeding. Dappled sunlight location (from what may be a "dated" suggestion). Sandy soil is a fact of life where I'm at. Italian bees.

Since my experience is limited to 4 weeks of beekeeping and my first association meeting is 10 days away, my question is: Should I be nervous? And if so, what now?

Thanks, Sam

Default Re: What now? SHB welcoming party!

BTW, I am ASSUMING that what is in the hive is the SHB (from photos and literature). But here is another pic of the critter, just in case:

Sam

You still have a small problem. Consider some beetle traps from $1 to $20 each. The effectiveness does not seem relative to the price. I personally use a cookie sheet of kitchen oil under the screened bottom board. Sure I kill a few Varroa too but that is acceptable losses to make one small hive beetle wish it never saw my hive. If your hive gets really infested with frothing frames and an oily appearance, Checkmite + will kill small hive beetles and Varroa. Honestly the Varroa need to die too!

Quote Originally Posted by AmericasBeekeeper View Post
    You still have a small problem. Consider some beetle traps from $1 to $20 each. The effectiveness does not seem relative to the price. I personally use a cookie sheet of kitchen oil under the screened bottom board. Sure I kill a few Varroa too but that is acceptable losses to make one small hive beetle wish it never saw my hive. If your hive gets really infested with frothing frames and an oily appearance, Checkmite + will kill small hive beetles and Varroa. Honestly the Varroa need to die too!

Thanks for the reply. As to the vorroa, I made another assumption about them (that I wouldn't need to bother treating until fall, if required. at least this year). I will probably use checkmite or apistan, etc this summer or fall, if needed. I know that the oil tray method is used a lot, and I will as well if that's what needs to be done. With 3 hives, almost any effective method is an option. I may never have much more than the three, and there's a chance I won't have them. But I would like to settle on a control method that works efficiently for 3 hives or 30. How often do you find that you need to mess with the oil pans, and whats the ongoing maintenance of them?

I see SHB in all my hives the bees never let them get out of control, and I dont worry about them, It should be part of your queen selection, if the bees tolerate too many SHB and dont chase them around they will overtake the hive
    Bob