Default Getting bees for my college's new community garden next year - eager to learn!

Hi! I'm Clare. I'm a sophomore in college. I just recently decided to go into sustainable farming - a big change from my old plans, theatre. We're starting a community garden at my school, and I'm the intern. I've been given permission to start a beehive, mostly for pollination purposes, but also just to help increase the bee population, and maybe we'll get a little honey. I want to take the next year to research and prepare, then get bees in the spring. My plans at present are pretty rough - I'm going to the next local beekeeping meeting to try to find a mentor or two (apparently there are lots of really nice folks around here who love to teach about beekeeping), learn from them over the next year, attend bee school over the winter (and possibly build my own hive), and get bees in the spring. I'm thinking, maybe a top bar hive and probably a nuc to start with.

I've read the entire "How to start beekeeping" forum, and a lot of it doesn't make sense yet, but I'm working on it! I have one book on beekeeping ("The Beekeeper's Handbook"), and I'm going to get the library to order some more. I know a lot about bee society because I loved social insects as a young child and read about them a lot, but I'm not familiar with very much beekeeping terminology yet. I've seen several hives and seen a brief inspection and met a few beekeepers.

A little about me... I'm a theatre major, concentrating in educational and process theatre, but now with plans to go into community gardening, sustainable farming, something like that. Heck, maybe beekeeping! I'm looking at a minor in sociology/sustainability, but I'm not sure if I can fit that in over the next two years and still graduate on time. I'm an avid fishkeeper; I have dwarf puffers and bettas, and I'm working on hatching out some triops. I have a total of three tanks, going on four. I'm a geek - I love to read, I love Shakespeare and Tolkien, and I love learning way more about animals than I'll ever really need to know.

This is me on spring break a few days ago, learning about sustainable agriculture, playing with Lucy the dairy goat:

And this is the beehive that (and the beek who) got me into beekeeping, during the same spring break:

Default Re: Getting bees for my college's new community garden next year - eager to learn!

Welcome Clare, It sounds like you will be well prepared by the time you get your bees next spring.

Default Re: Getting bees for my college's new community garden next year - eager to learn!

Welcome, I maintain a hive at University of South Florida Botanical Gardens in Tampa Florida. I too started with the intent of pollination. For over a year I have been teaching monthly workshops because of, and with, that hive.
    Check out the class pictures at www.americasbeekeeper.com/Gallery.htm You will learn a lot quickly teaching.

AmericasBeekeeper - Thanks for the link. Hopefully I'll wind up teaching someone to take care of the bees during the summer - I hope to have an apprenticeship in North Carolina at a community garden there - and I'll be teaching the others who work in our garden about the bees too.

berkshire bee - I hope so! I wanted to get started right away when I heard that spring is the time to ship packages, but I've learned better than to buy an animal before researching thoroughly. My fish have taught me well.

What a great idea! where do you go to college?

Hello Claire and welcome
    ~Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by sgwjr1979 View Post
    What a great idea! where do you go to college?
    Georgetown College, in Georgetown, KY... Not to be confused with the university! It's the Bluegrass area - you know, music and horses.

My beekeeping books came in at the library today! I can start reading actual books!

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your bees.There are a lot of great beekeepers in Kentucky so I'm sure it will be easy to get as much mentoring as you can use.There are great people at KSU and EKU that are heavily involved in bees also.