Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

"Fixing" Partially Drawn Frames

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Kingfisher Apiaries 
#1 ·
I have two hives that I started on Pierco frames last year. They both made it throught the winter :). One is really strong, one is a little weak. Both of these hives had a little trouble last year and some of the frames are not fully drawn. The partially drawn frames are about 2/3's drawn and the comb tapers off to bare plastic foundation.Will the bees "finish" drawing these frames this year? Should I do something to encourage them to complete the frames that are only 2/3's drawn? Should I pull out the partials and replace them with foundation? Not sure what or if I should do something.

#4 ·
I have had this same problem with my regular plastic frames. Even though I have fed heavily my bees have kept 2 frames partially covered with wax. I have even rotated the frames in the hive hoping to find a spot for them to finish the wax. At this point in time I have given up on the idea and figure if the bees want to complete the wax building they will and if not then they won't. Remember the hive is a house full of women and they do things on thier own terms and time table. (No offence ment).

#5 ·
I have had the same problem. I think the bees eat off the little wax they put on the foundation on those spots (when there is not a flow going on). Then when there is a flow or you are feeding them they won't touch it. I think painting some wax on those spots would help. I think I have the same thing happening on my wax foundation except they just eat the whole thing, not just the covering like on the plastic foundation.

Kingfisher

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.