Default What else do I need to extract honey?

Im about to dive headfirst into extracting. I am ordering a Dadant 20 Frame Radial extractor. What other kind of containers/strainers do I need to make this process as quick and clean as possible? I need to get it from the frame, to a container to sell.

Default Re: What else do I need to extract honey?

Uncapping knife and tub/tank, settling/bottling tank or bucket, strainer, weigh scale, containers, labels
    "Of all God's creatures, only the honeybee improves its environment and preys on no other species."--Haydon Brown

So, my extracted honey goes from the extractor to a bucket with a strainer to filter it, where its ready for bottling. Where does the settling tank/bucket come into play?

A sanitary space to work.
    Politics is the entertainment branch of industry. -Frank Zappa

The settling tank allows your honey to clarify, the wax and bee lips float to the top and the occaisional heavy particulate settle to the bottom. Then when you tap off the bottom of the settled honey and thru a strainer, your honey is clean in the bottle. It also allows your to blend slightly different honeys so the jars on your table are all the same color. Not advocating you blend honey's with different color/taste profile. People often like a choice.

I think ill have to get buy with some 5 gallon buckets for now until I can score some used SS containers.

The 5 gallon bottling bucket with strainer from Dadant works fine. I run from the extractor through the strainer into buckets. I pour from buckets into the bottling bucket as needed.

A plastic tub from Walmart will work for an uncapping tub. Put a piece of 1x4 across it to rest the frames on while you uncap. Some use a hot knife, some use a bread knife, some use scratchers, etc. I use a scratcher. Find what works for you. You don't need to spend a bunch of money to get honey out of comb unless you are going commercial where time is money.

If Im sure this is a hobby that the family would like to expand and do on a larger scale, is it stupid to go ahead and purchase a full blown extractor like the Dadant M00411? I was actually looking at the 20 frame radial, but thinking that for less than 25 hives that would be a waste of money. I dont mind spending the money up front.

Quote Originally Posted by brazosdog02 View Post
    If Im sure this is a hobby that the family would like to expand and do on a larger scale, is it stupid to go ahead and purchase a full blown extractor like the Dadant M00411? I was actually looking at the 20 frame radial, but thinking that for less than 25 hives that would be a waste of money. I dont mind spending the money up front.
    Buy used.... There is not much to an extractor that will need replacing/repair. I bought a used 36 frame SS for 1/4 the price of new and it works like a charm.

No idea where to find this stuff used. Craigslist stuff comes up rarely. It SEEMS most around here buy their stuff and use it. Ideas?

I bought my 20 frame Dadant used for $400. I waited awhile for it to turn up here in Texas. I use it once a year for a few hours. I wouldn't want much more tied up in it.

Meh. Not wanting to wait around. It's not terribly priced. I haven't seen anything in the ads over the past few months. Maybe I'll get lucky.
    Last edited by brazosdog02; 01-22-2014 at 05:30 PM.