Question Reversing supers/larvae kicked out?!

Need a little help!!

My hives are in their second spring - 2 strong, 1 weaker. Spring has come very early - daytime temps are decent (60's) but nights are often close to freezing.

On a wicked hot day 2 weeks ago I reversed the hive bodies. The bottom supers were all very light and the top supers had quite a bit of honey left...books all say this is good to switch as the bees like to move upwards...so now the top supers are filling up and the bottoms are the fuller ones.

I have noticed in the last week or so that a couple of hives are kicking out several white larvae...obviously bees but not fully developed...I usually see 2 or 3 when I visit (once or twice a week).

I have some guesses but that's all they are - should I be concerned??? Should I re-reverse to put the bodies in the same original position???

All replies much appreciated!

Christine

Default Re: Reversing supers/larvae kicked out?!

When you open the hive and move frames, it is easy to tear open drone cells that are sometimes drawn in the space between frames. If that happens, the workers will remove the larvae that die.

Do you have a VHS or similar breed of bees? Some bees will detect the presence of varoa and remove the larvae from the cells where the mites are incubating.
    Carl

I think Carl hit it. You broke some cells between the boxes. That is the most likely cause. Another, less likely cause would be chilled brood because you broke up the brood nest. I would have left them and not reversed...

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslazy.htm#stopswitching
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

If you have warmer than usual weather the bees get ahead of themselves. When a cold spell comes back they will sometimes kick out those unneeded drones. Just an observation I have seen when bees come from CA to WI when we still have cold weather. The really strong hives seem to do this more than the weaker ones.
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

Makes sense...I'll keep an eye on them but it makes sense they're just cleaning up.

I was torn about reversing the supers at all - in hindsight I should have waited a little longer regardless...

Thank you very much for the help!!