Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freakin Parvo

Sad Freakin Parvo

The little Cavapoo pup Santa brought my daughter just got Parvo. They just started treatment. 500 bones just to start! And they say it's not looking good. Probably won't make it 24-48 hours. But you never know. Gotta try.
    Chuck Norris once roundhouse kicked Hulk in the face. Now he hides in the forest and changed his name to Shrek

Default Re: Freakin Parvo

If it was just a goldfish, I would have already introduced it back into the wild.

Did he have his shots? If not, I highly recommend any replacement pups get their puppy shots. Parvo will hang out in the ground what seems like forever. You can pick them up fairly cheap I think the last batch we bought was around $20 for a rabies shot and the five combo puppy shot. most farm supply stores have them. and give them yourself.
    Charla Hinkle

That was the first thing I checked. She was caught up on all her shots. Incuding the parvo shot. The vet said it helps but it's not fool proof.
    Chuck Norris once roundhouse kicked Hulk in the face. Now he hides in the forest and changed his name to Shrek

I know how that goes. We had a dog that had it a while back. She made it through and is very healthy.
    Kingfisher

Sorry to hear that D....... gonna tear everyone up
    for sure if the pup dies.

Poor thing. Puppy and kiddo.
    Charla Hinkle

Now my wife calls me and says she has to work late since she is taking off tomorrow. So wants to know if I will pick up the kids. Sounds like a poor excuse to me. She wants me to break it to them.

I volenteered at a no kill animal shelter for 4 years on and off. We had 2 pups and 1 aldult get parvo. If we took them out we would have to bleach the ground. Guess who got put into charge of cleaning their poo for the first day. Your truley. It was green , and blue, and brownish and mucasy. All three survived and got adopted.
    Chris Cree
    Cree's Bees

I sure hope it survives. We had a beagle pup die from it and a while later (even after bleaching EVERYTHING) its brother got it. We went for "kill or cure" and pumped it full of horse antibiotics. It came through it and then got hit by a car a month later. How old is your pup and did it come from a breeder? It should have had shots if it did.
    Human natural selection= just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

She was bought from a real good breeder. She got great reviews from the people I talked too. Even some I found on the net that had bought from her had nothing but praise.

She came with shot records. I called the vet that did the shots just to verify she had the shot. She did. These kind of things just happen sometimes I guess.

I have done a lot of rescues in my life. I took a pair of pups in a few years ago. The Vet was in tears because she thought they would both be dead by morning. The wife is a nurse so she had them give the pups IVs with IV antibiotics and something for the pain and to help them breath. The next morning after the wife was up pup sitting all night, these two are running and playing like nothing happened. I hope your situation goes well. Incidentally the father of the pups was killed by lightning and the mom was living under a house and had dried up from lack of food so the pups were not getting anything but the worms and parasites in the yard - no nourishment. That was 14 years ago and I still have the male. Actually my son has him and my Koi and my house. It can have a happy ending.

She came with shot records. I called the vet that did the shots just to verify she had the shot. She did. These kind of things just happen sometimes I guess.[/QUOTE]

Yes they do, vaccines are not 100% effective. Let us know how the puppy and your kiddo are doing. Best of luck.
    Human natural selection= just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Quote Originally Posted by knpeterson View Post
    Let us know how the puppy and your kiddo are doing. Best of luck.
    No update on the pup. Won't know until tomorrow. My daughter (4 yr old) is doing pretty good. She cried a bit when I said the Dr. had to keep Lucy for a couple days to try and make her fell better. She thinks the Dr. should be able to give her some meds and send her home. Like when she gets sick.

Update.

The pup is still alive. Total cost from the vet is going to be between $800.00 to $1,600.00. So I worked out a deal with the vet yesterday. I gave them $250.00 to do what they can for 24 hours. While I get educated on this and alternative treatments. Which they agreed to do. Do to the cost to treat a lot of people are treating at home. There is a product on the market called Parvaid. Kind of an organic treatment. Gets great reviews. Finally found a place in Dallas that has it. Wife is on her way back with it now. I think with the Parvaid, Pedialyte, and some protein shakes I will get her thru it. Dr. Derek is now taking this over.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    Update.. Total cost from the vet is going to be between $800.00 to $1,600.00. .
    Your vet is taking advantage of you.
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

Those are low prices compaired to some others I have talked to. Avg price from some friends who's dog had it was $2,500.00 Theirs were a little higher do to the fact they went to the Vet E.R. We don't have that.

I'm thinking I am in the wrong line of work while at the same time I am glad I don't live there with those vet fees.
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

I'm sure glad we have the good ole country vets around here. Never charge that.

These are country vets. Their really good though. There is another vet in town. I called him and he quoted me a ballpark price that was a tad higher. They costed out what they did for me to pay today. Overnight stay, couple I.V's, Meds, ect. It came to $241.08 Pretty dang close to the 250 they said it would be. They have been doing it long enough that they know what it cost shooting from the hip. They did give me a couple extra meds to give her for free and some advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast