Default 100 or so dead drones in front of hive w/deformed wings

Third year hive always been strong. Looks like DWV but some look like may have been pulled before they emerged. Some not developed physically well . One had white eyes. That one had a creep factor. I wonder if they might have been pulled from the cell after being chilled and the wings just were not fully formed. Below freezing at night here. But,,,,some had un equal damaged wings. Maybe a little of all the above. No history of DWV outbreaks observed.
    Thoughts, ideas, appreciated.
    Rick

Default Re: 100 or so dead drones in front of hive w/deformed wings

Hey,
    Symptoms of a Varroa deformed wings.
    You have varroasis infested colonies.

Bart

That is most likely true. Checked others today. Lots of normal drones tossed out too. Thinking a resource issue?
    Thanks
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick 1456 View Post
    Thinking a resource issue?
    What ? I do not understand !

Regards

Our flow is starting. This is worker population build time. Resources, pollen and nectar, coming in, is being used to raise worker brood. I'm "thinking" they have a surplus of drones and they are getting the boot. I saw this happen back in the summer towards the end of our dearth. Tossed drones of all ages. What I think anyway.
    The other thing I'm "thinking", is the flow is a roller coaster ride right now. All of a sudden, not much coming in and it triggered the "boot". I do think the mites play partly into some of this. I quit treating four years ago. I just may have never noticed this before so it is a new observation to me.
    Rick

seeing similar in a few of mine rick.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Speg,,,had you treated any of those? I'm sure some of this is mites. It's ok with me because this is a booming hive and it would mean they are living/dealing with them somehow. Wouldn't it be just like bees to have "learned" to raise an over abundance of drones early, just so they could toss them and the mites out the door. We would call that DHB,,,,,,,Drone Hygienic Behavior. LOL I'll have to get a grant and right a thesis. Just think if that were the case and we have been cussing because of all the drone comb the bees build. Then we take it out and make them use foundation. LOL
    Rick

no treatments rick.

mine are not booming yet, so i'm guessing the mites haven't had much of a chance to multiply.

our normal early flow has been interupted by cold and wet weather. i was thinking the same thing as you about getting the boot because of low resources.

i agree that we may be seeing some hygenic behavior at work as well.

there appears to be some mating going on as evidenced by a few drones limping back to the hives minus their you know what.

I thought you were on the TF Team Sorry. Booming for this time of year here and I'd be surprised if there is any natural mating going on. (swarms) . I haven't seen any casualties from the queens promiscuity yet
    Thanks
    Rick

there's been a few swarms reported not too far from where i am, but mine are all still expanding their broodnest and have a fair amount of drawn comb to 'grow' into.

i caught one hive in the middle of a not so seemless supercedure today. i decided to look into it when i noticed not much pollen coming in compared to all the rest. i wish now that i wouldn't have disturbed it.

i lost one hive last fall that i know was from mites, and several more over the winter that appear to be from queen failure.

i sure would like to know why those queens are crapping out.

thankfully i had enough 'spare' hives from caught swarms and splits last year to cover the losses and still have the twelve production hives that i want.

after the spring harvest, i'm going to try my hand at raising some queens from my best colonies and make up a bunch of nucs.

my plan is to not start treatments until i give queen rearing and selection a chance.

My losses were from starvation. Three full sized. Three nucs that my lack of overwintering experience are to blame. One nuc made it through winter so I'm impressed with it. MO is They succumbed to the long dearth, poor fall flow, and I believe the queens failed to back off brood rearing. The five others in the same apiary did fine. Bonds law.
    My friend I mentor/help,,,,lost her hive. We think, the hive swarmed late and the new queen was lost. They perished from attrition with 100lbs of stores. The hive autopsy showed no brood, no dead queen. There's probably other scenarios. Not sure if that is part of the queen problems.
    Rick

interesting rick. we had rash of late swarms down here last year, and it could very well be that those replacement queens didn't make it.

i thought i was going to regret not feeding any syrup last fall after winter got extended an extra month.

luckily, the flow started just as the winter stores were depleted. it probably held back my spring build up some, but the bright side is i may not have much swarming.

i had enough comb this year to properly checkerboard a couple of supers on each of the twelve hives. walt wright was even kind enough to come down and help. i'm trying to leave them alone now and see how that works out.

How many times and how to treat varroa ??

I am a treatment free beekeeper.
    Rick