Thread: new bee

Default new bee

Hello, I am just in the research stage. I have been interested in bees for awhile. I did a research as a master gardener on bees 2 years ago. I am doing a new one this year. They are such busy little creatures. I was bombed by a "yellow jacket" this afternoon , tho! I am wondering about the Class this fall at The U of M in St. Paul. I have only done this "thread" thing when I took the Master gardener class 2 years ago. Not to "savvy" on this. I live in southern Mn, in the country. I am florist. I work where we grow our own garden product. I am more of a Flower Gardener than veggies. But am going back to that part of my old life. Veggies. I'd REALLY like to go to a bee place near and see and ask. Is there anyone out there near I-90 and 35 W?? I live in Blue Earth. Thank You, Cindy

Default Re: new bee

Hello and Welcome!

This forum is a good place to learn about bees & beekeeping. Be sure to check out the "How to Start Beekeeping" subforum: lots of good info covering the basics.

Is Marla Spivak an instructor for the class at U of M? I'd take it in a heartbeat. I've heard her speak before and have read a number of her articles/publications. Regardless, I'd take the class as I'm sure it will provide much useful info, especially pertaining to beekeeping in your area.

Also, check if any of these clubs are near you. Clubs are good places to find mentors and get connected to local beekeepers:
    http://www.mnbeekeepers.com/links.html

Welcome, get some bees so you can learn from them!

Hello, It has been quite a while since I was on this. I am not sure at all how to even make this work. When I took the master gardener class we had this type of Q/A. I will try to make it work for me.
    I did take the class at the U in Oct. I just ordered some bee tolls and clothing. I have met a very helpful couple and they will sell me hives and bees in the spring.
    Do you have your own extractor? EWhat kind and are you happy with it? Also what knid of a wax knife do you use?
    I did go to the So. Min beekeeper meeting once. Very interesting.
    I met some ladies near me at the class also.
    I can't wait until spring to get going!!
    How was learning the smoker for you?
    Thanks, Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Lyon View Post
    Do you have your own extractor? EWhat kind and are you happy with it?
    No. I've made friends with some nearby beekeepers who have extractors, and borrow theirs.

Also what knid of a wax knife do you use?
    A bread knife and a cappings scratcher.

How was learning the smoker for you?
    I always recommend that new beekeepers practice with their smoker BEFORE they get their bees. Try different types of fuel. See how long you can keep it lit without constanting having to puff the bellows. It's no fun having cranky bees come boiling out of a hive and reaching for a dead smoker.

Smoker- If you can find pine needles, hold a bundle in your hand, light the bottom, stuff in the smoker, your done. Do the same thing with newspaper and stuff other fuel on top it you do not have pine needles.
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook