Default Hoping for honey soon!

This is my first time on any bee site...looking forward to sharing info. I have two hives doing well, though one swarmed a month ago...still hoping to harvest some honey at least for the family. Eventually I want to be in the honey business. I have ordered two additional hives for May delivery and hope to add even more when I get the hang of all this. I am starting my second year with my existing two hives and have never harvested any honey from them. I live in Lamont, Florida (North Florida) just southeast of Tallahassee. I will attend my first "bee group" meeting next week and hope to meet some interesting other beeks!

Does anyone know when the best time will be to harvest honey in my area?

Default Re: Hoping for honey soon!

Obviously it depends on when the honeyflow is for your area. I found a cool source of data on NASA's honeybeenet site.

http://honeybeenet.gsfc.nasa.gov/Sites/national_map.htm

Look at the hive-scale data for your area, and that will give you at least an indication of when hives gain weight. There are a couple of data points in FLA.

Hope that helps.

Ken

http://honeybeenet.gsfc.nasa.gov/ima...rg,FL_plot.png

http://honeybeenet.gsfc.nasa.gov/ima...FLAll_plot.png
    Last edited by Admin; 04-20-2010 at 08:48 PM. Reason: images too large - ignoring mod warning.

welcome from a fellow Floridaian
    A government large enough to provide everything you need is strong enough to take everything you have. T. Jefferson

Thank you, peacekeeper...looks like it won't be long now...May or June. I will try to get more data on the honey flows in my area.

Welcome the beekeepers up there will have the best idea.

I'm fond of waiting for cold weather. I can better judge how much they need and I can pull supers without bees in them...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Welcome,
    you can harvest anytime you have capped honey, how are you planning to extract?
    Bob