Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Apis cerana japonica

there are no frames in these hives. And I don't believe there are top bars either. I think honey is harvested by cutting out a portion of the comb.

My father goes to Tsushima this week, and he says he is taking his camera. Hope hopes to return with a package of Cerana.

Quick update: my father went to Tsushima and talked to a beekeeper. Said it was a difficult winter and maybe 30-40% colonies were lost. It was only this beek that was even willing to sell a hive/colony, but my dad decided not to buy it. Cost is about $1000 and there are issues having it shipped.

But he did buy a traditional log hive.

I heard today that he somehow now has a cerana swarm in his log hive. Sounds like the swarm was caught and placed, but I'm not sure. The local news did a piece on his hive.

Pictures of Tsushima and this new hive to come.

Wow a thousand bucks for a hive? That sounds high, but typically everything costs allot more over there. It sounds like he got lucky with getting a swarm.

There are many videos on Youtube about Japanese beekeeping. It looks like the hives they use are kind of like a cross between a Warre hive and a boxgum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WocSM...os=EcuMvR6pP2g

You think we have problems check out these Giant hornets attacking both European & native bees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtFVQ...ZDfSgh_AdtI_k8

So, it was a swarm collection, according to the Yomiuri Shimbun, the newspaper with the largest circulation in the world.

That looks like a rather large swarm to me.

Here's the online article:
    http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/e-japan/fuk...OYT8T01201.htm

Translation of the article:
    http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate...rUrl=Translate

The details have not been reported to me yet.

The swarm was large, but not as large as it appears in that picture. Angle trickery.

I'm forgetting the story on how they found out about the swarm. I think someone called the news and the news called the university, and the news also called an exterminator. My father told them to cancel the call to the exterminator.

So that swarm is now in the hive purchased in Tsushima. It has apparently taken and is active. This kind of beekeeping is like keeping a skep. You don't open this thing up to inspect it. "Bee-having." Which is alright, as I have learned on my time on beesource from many folks here that my father was never a beekeeper. He is/was just a bee-haver.

Here are some pictures of the current set-up. Enjoy.

http://s1047.photobucket.com/albums/...ana_hive_roof/

That is like a wooden skep or log gum. Basic beekeeping. Is the hive kept on a rooftop? No giant hornets this time of year.

Yes, it's on a roof. He has made a couple of top-bar hives, built specially for cerana, but he needs more swarms to get them started. I'm not sure why he started with the log-hive. Maybe just to be traditional for the heck of it.

Despite being 100% feral, they are apparently quite gentle.

I have nothing to add to the discussion. I just wanted to tell you how much I am enjoying this topic. Keep 'em coming.
    Thanks

George

Hey, What does the sign in pic 18 say? I can get past the hirigana, but there's too much kanji for me! lol.

Some pictures of cerana japonica hives in Tsushima, taken by my father.

http://s1047.photobucket.com/albums/...shima%20Hives/

Cool pics. It almost looks like a Zen garden setting. I like how they blend the hives amongst the landscaping. They use every inch of space in Japan because land is so scarce and expensinve. The tops on the log gums are different. Each looks like either something they scrounged up to throw on top or its purposeful/artful in a way I don't understand. The old Japanese guy looks like a bee-keeper though.

I wonder if the slit openings have something to do with preventing attacks from wasps.

Most likely. Every Japanese hive I see in videos or photos has a screen or narrow opening to prevent Giant Hornets from gaining entry. They are a huge problem overthere. How is your dad's hive doing?

Here are some pictures of the cerana hive being inspected. It cannot be inspected from the top--that is where the comb attaches of course.

http://s1047.photobucket.com/albums/...a_hive_roof_2/

Is japonica in any way different from the rest of A. cerana? Does A. cerana have varieties the way some people think A. mellifera does?

As I understand Cerana is all thoughout Asia and has variances just like Mellifera. The Japanese version is one such variance.

Man that log gum looks like something from the 1800's. Very cool though!

Update: DISASTER!

Apparently, being on a roof, the hive overheated. Bees could not keep it cool, honey came pouring down, bees came pouring out. Bees are on outside of log hive (as of yesterday). Shade being considered as well as a move off the roof.

It already had afternoon shade. So perhaps the roof is not the answer.

Another lesson learned the hard way.

I am told that the bees have recovered and are doing ok.

This hive is still up and going. I will soon have an update, if anyone is interested.

Yes. Please do update. Let us know how they are ddoing and some pictures if you can get them

Thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast