Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shipping cost

Default shipping cost

I just had 200 frames and 200 sheets of foundation shipped from Clarkson Ky. to central Ms. I like to have croaked to see a shipping cost of 75.02 for 3 boxes a total of 115 lbs. 24.48+24.48+26.06 =75.02 This seems very excessive.
    Don't think you are on the right road simply because it is a well worn pathway.

Default Re: shipping cost

yeah thats about right ---

a frame with only foundation comes to about 12oz

if you use plastic it is a wopping 1 LB

so if you have 200 frames thats about 120-200lbs

it cost extra money to move heavy stuff - take's man power since they cant use the lightwieght fast convayors

thats the bad in beekeeping!! WOOD IS HEAVY

try to find a dealer near you that you can pick things up at - it saves a bit

Spee Dee Delivery serves the upper midwest. I recently ordered from Mann Lake. UPS shipping charges for the order were over $16. Spee Dee Delivery charged just over $6. Same package, same distance and with Spee Dee, it was on my doorstep in 2 days.

Why, I wonder, is Spee Dee able to charge almost 40% less to do the same job (and in many cases, do it faster)?

Shipping cost depends a lot upon whether your location is on an established route or is out of route. I have had UPS shipping charges very reasonable to some locations in a state and others very high. When I have looked at the map the higher rates will be in the middle of nowhere. I work for an LTL carrier (less than truck load) and rates shoot up if it is out of route.
    Home of the ventilated and sting resistant Ultra Breeze bee suits and jackets
    http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com

Doesn't that make you gasp. Last year, I had ordered a small bag of Bottles for honey and didn't realize that I needed to purchase lids to them. So I ended up paying 2 expensive shipping charges. The Website might have said that the lids didn't come with the bottles, but it really infuriated me as I could have had both for the same original shipping charge. Anyway, I ate the cost and have since located the source of the bottles within 40 miles of me.

After I ate my shipping expenses for some woodenware, I located a manufacturer that is about 1 1/2 hours away from me. I take my SUV and trust me, I pack it to the RIM and wonder how I managed to fit it all in.

So start scouting around for local manufacturers to see if it is worth the gas and time to pick up the items versus the convenience of having it shipped to you. If you are a small operation, it may not be worth it.

I am just a hobbist but this is not out route i get stuf all the time.

you also want to take into consideration that UPS, USPS and just about every other uses dimensional weight to determine costs. if the box you are having shipped contains 100 lbs of material but the dimensions of the box fall into the dimensional weight of 145, then you will be charged 145 because of the box dimensions.

If the box is 'cut down' to exactly or close enough fit the material inside, the weight paid for will closer represent the actual material weight.

box size used is often determined by how much packing is needed to prevent damage and the largest dimension of the material.

for example, if you have an item that is 4x8x24 the box needed will have to be at least 24" long if the company has 12x12x24 dimension boxes, they can either cut the box down to fit or add packing (filler) material and keep their box dimensions, costing you more in freight.

of course, we already know that how fast you intend delivery adds to the cost as well.

If I sell a tbh un-assembled, I cut the box down to fit the material. I use a 12x12x48 box. based on the box dimensions, I will pay anywhere from 10 to 15 dollars less in shipping if I cut the box down than if I were to keep the original box dimensions.

That's with UPS or USPS.

Big Bear
    No, I am NOT a bee "Keeper". Anything I post is just my opinion. Take it easy and think for yourself.

Back in December i had a planer shipped from Grizzly Tools that was over a thousand lbs. for 144.00. I know this truck freight , but i wouldn't mind my bee supplies to come on a truck.

Quote Originally Posted by magnet-man View Post
    When I have looked at the map the higher rates will be in the middle of nowhere. I work for an LTL carrier (less than truck load) and rates shoot up if it is out of route.
    Well, I am definitely 'middle of nowhere' - but it seems that once you are 'off route', you would be 'off route' for any company - it doesn't make sense that I am on Spee Dee's 'route' but not UPS - especially since UPS has a store just 18 miles from me. The nearest Spee Dee store is 120 miles away.

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPAguy View Post
    So start scouting around for local manufacturers to see if it is worth the gas and time to pick up the items versus the convenience of having it shipped to you.
    This is exactly what I have done. I build almost all of my own woodenware now (with the exception of frames) and when I purchase, I do so in bulk from Dadant (Sioux Falls), Mann Lake or B&B - because they will ship through Spee Dee.

Not complaining - just mystified at the high cost of shipping. The companies must know that it costs them sales.

speedee is a lot cheaper if I do not have them pick up. If I take to their office (about 20 min drive from me) but if I have them pick up, they are slightly more expensive than USPS for me. ( USPS will pick up pkgs at no extra cost)

So to have pkg picked pup and transported, USPS is lowest cost way for me to ship in the spee dee service area.

If I feel like dropping it off to spee dee, then I save almost half that expense and use spee dee

on the receiving end, I am sure the purchaser would rather I drop off to save them $. However, if I haven't the time to stop what I am doing ( building tbh's) and have them pick it up, makes life easier for me. Where should the shipper go on this decision? low cost for customer or higher efficiency for getting products done?

these are the decisions that are made every day.

Big Bear
    No, I am NOT a bee "Keeper". Anything I post is just my opinion. Take it easy and think for yourself.

Yea, shipping creates a frosting.

I like the cypress gear from a GA supplier who is actually less expensive than closer, but the shipping makes it more even though both use UPS.

I'm small scale for me and family and going top bar. But joints and screws hold just as well.

Brushy Mountain offers free shipping around Christmas. Other suppliers followed their lead and offer free shipping at various times. I order from Brushy in December and save hundreds on shipping.

This is where the Beeks west of the Miss. grumble as the free shipping extends only east of the Miss. Certain locations of Dadant also did it this past year. I really took advantage of the free shipping.

what needs to be done is more people to make thier own stuff. I even contacted some of my friends that own maufacturing plants in Inda to make all the wood wear I need and I am about to see about opening up a west coast market and under cut the price to the bone.
    99.99% of questions can be answered by Just reading books.

yeah - ive been making my own stuff --
    everything but frames - but it would be nice to get a new company in washington - next door would be great!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by honeydreams View Post
    what needs to be done is more people to make thier own stuff. I even contacted some of my friends that own maufacturing plants in Inda to make all the wood wear I need and I am about to see about opening up a west coast market and under cut the price to the bone.
    For me, I don't have any interest in manufacturing woodenware.

I am not sure how this reduces shipping costs. I am assuming that you meant India, as I didn't know what Inda meant.

For me, I don't have any interest in manufacturing woodenware.

If these are made in India or China or any foreign country, I personally wouldn't patronize your business, regardless of your costs to me. Once all items are outsourced, then who will have jobs and who will buy my honey and how much money if they had any, would I be able to sell my honey.

the number one cost to the product is labor. and I understand most peoples advertion to not buying American. But hey when China owns 89% of our debt buying from china is Buying amercian now.
    99.99% of questions can be answered by Just reading books.

Pooling/
    If you can pool your orders together you can get better rates on your bee goods.
    And, just maybe you have old friends or relatives to visit making the round trip economicaly favorable.
    Or, a side trip fishing and on the homeward bound leg of the trip stop at your favorite supply store.
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Shipping costs are out of control.

I find that the cost to ship most things lately ends up being 1/3+ of the total cost.
    Milk Cows Not Taxpayers

Kelley's had free shipping, I think back in December. I bought 1,000 deep frames then, saved a bundle. When I need things at other times, I try to make it a pick up load, and go get it... gives me a chance to get away... but the expense is almost as much as having the order shipped, so don't save much.
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow