Thread: Moving bees

Default Moving bees

Hi. Tomorrow should be 78. Is it okay to move bees at this time of year from TBH to langstroth beehive? I have a couple of frames with brood. I have a total of 9 frames at each hive. They started to bring in polin. Does it matter if TB combs are a little bit wider than regular deep frame? Is this possible to move 2 TBH in one day or do I have to do it one tomorrow and one the next day (I have 2 TBHs).
    Thanks.

Default Re: Moving bees

There is no technical reason not to move both in the same day. Cutting off a little comb to make it fit is no problem. Just know where the queen is and do not injure her.

1). Should I combine 2 TB frames into one longstroth frame, since they are little bit longer, or can I do one to one?
    2). When I move bees to longstroth hive, should I put mediums right away so they start building for the main flow or should I put another deep and just let them built for themselves, and than medium on top?
    Approximately, how long does it take them to draw combs in the deep?

I would encourage you to wait a little while before you think about moving them. With freezing temperatures at night and only 50-60 degree day's on a good day we still have a long way to go before spring really get's here and anything that could be construed as a nectar flow. Fruit bloom would be an early signal to think about moving them. Your choice if you want deeps or mediums for your additional hive body. Good luck with them.

The 70 degrees today is a gift and not normal.
    Last edited by Brandy; 03-30-2010 at 09:17 AM.