Default Foundation-less Lang, Narrow Frame - Gap?

I am starting a couple foundationless langs after having so much fun with a top bar hive over the last year. The narrow frames (1-1/4 inch) worked in the KTBH so they should work in the Lang as well.

My question is about the gap on one side of the box (about 1 inch). Won't the bees build this 9th frame out way too thick? if so, what do you do about it?

My understanding is that you should press all the frames against one side of the hive and leave a gap at the other end. Am I doing this right?

Default Re: Foundation-less Lang, Narrow Frame - Gap?

Space the frames evenly.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrass View Post
    Space the frames evenly.
    I think I might be missing something. See Michael Bush's discussion of narrow frames:

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesframewidth.htm

Isn't the point to get the frames closer together? Thanks, I'm a bit lost here...

Space the frames evenly or together in the middle. They are less likely to build brace comb on the outer frames. They will probably build them thick as if they are evenly spaced.

If you cut the frames to 1 1/4" you can put 11 in a ten frame box or 9 in an eight frame box.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    If you cut the frames to 1 1/4" you can put 11 in a ten frame box or 9 in an eight frame box.
    Hi, Michael. I did what you suggest, and have 9 in an 8 frame box. I'd be interested in how you arrange them in the hive. What do you do with the leftover space in the 8 frame box? Do you space the frames out evenly, squish them together in the middle, or push them all to one side?

Take care, -- Logan

I think his point in cutting them down is to get more frames in. You still want to space evenly. If you cram all the frames together you will be crushing bees when you are removing frames.

Basically you are still working with the same amount of space. If you cut the frames down and put extra in the box, the result is the same as if you didn't. The bees will draw the comb thicker in standard frames and narrower on narrower frames. If your box is 14 inches wide on the inside it is still only 14 inches whether you have standard frames or narrower ones. The benefit is lighter frames, not more space. You will only gain more space in a brood chamber as the queen will have more cells to lay in...Honey storage wise you will have the same amount of space.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Push all the frames together in the middle. The extra space on the sides is usefull to separate the frame when inspecting. Sometimes they will draw out the outer frames more or add brace comb, but not always. There shouold be less space having 9, 1 1/4" frames (11.25" total) than 8, 1 3/8" frames (11.0" total).

There are a bunch of reasons to cut them down:
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beesframewidth.htm

Only one of those is to get more frames. You also get more brood. You'll get more brood that can be covered by the bees. You'll get smaller cells...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF