Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Mann Lake BEE PRO

8K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  honeyshack 
#1 ·
Does anyone use bee pro from Mann Lake and if so do you recommend it

#4 ·
I've been using it for the 2008-2009 season and now the 2009-2010 season. I use the powder and mix it myself with sugar syrup, so far the bees take it readily and it seems to help them to maintain a brood nest even when little pollen is available.

#6 ·
I know this is an old post but I'm wondering how to mix the Mann Lake BeePro I just bought.

The recipe it comes with calls for HFCS which I don't have access to. I tried mixing with 2:1 sugar/water but the resulting patties got really hard.
Do I need to just make a much softer dough, or mix it differently?

Anyone who has mixed this BeePro powder into patties please chime in.

thanks
Jay

#7 ·
How I mix them, most of the time (sometimes I add a little powdered vitamin C):

I mix very small batches ->

-First I put about four pounds of dry sugar into a large plastic mixing bowl
-Next I stir canola oil into the sugar until it begins to stick together a little
-Then I mix in two pounds of Bee Pro powder until blended thoroughly
-Then I add a little 1:1 sugar syrup mixing it in until it is the consistency of cookie dough
-I then spoon lumps between wax paper and flatten it between the layers of wax paper until it is the thickness that will fit above the brood combs, cutting a few slits with a knife on the side that will be facing the combs

#9 ·
Most any vegetable oil would likely suffice, I chose canola because the lipid profile seemed most appropriate to honey bee nutritional needs and my bank account. I believe hemp oil would likely be the best but doesn't work on my budget.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.