Default Hi from Minnesota!

I've been reading about beekeeping for about 6 or 7 years and have wanted to keep bees ever since I was a child. This year my fiance and I took a beekeeping course at the U. of Minnesota and right now we are waiting for our bees to arrive!

We have the hives built, we've practiced wearing our bee jackets and are reading everything we can find. I feel as well-prepared as one can be- and I am nervous! Now that this is about to really happen, I'm worried that my little bees will not do well, and I am worrying about them even before they've arrived. I am going to be a nervous first-time bee mom!

Cindy

Default Re: Hi from Minnesota!

Hi!

It seems like you getting as prepared as you can be; 6-7 years of reading? . For a little more,..'ambiance'; find a sound recording of a hive of honey bees in Minnesota in June-July. Get into your bee suits and listen to the recording while standing next to your hives--turn up the volume!! . Even though I kept bees many years ago, I was nervous again when I restarted recently. It will be fine. Welcome to Beesource.

One thing to practice is lighting and keeping it working, is the smoker.

AMEN! Practice with that smoker. There really is a knack to getting it going and keeping it lit.

Oldbee, much of my reading was fuel for daydreams, lol! I lived right downtown in a city with a tiny yard and crabby neighbours before moving to Minnesota, so I had to get all my bee fix from books. And the buzzing recording sounds alarming- is the buzzing really going to be that loud? This is going to be exciting!

You will be a great bee mom!

Hi Cindy!

I'm so glad you found the beesource I just received my email about the bees. Very exciting.

This place is really great, you'll enjoy it here

Michelle

Michelle, thanks for recommending this forum! I have found so much useful info- and some scary stuff to, but it's all going to help.

welcome
    A government large enough to provide everything you need is strong enough to take everything you have. T. Jefferson