Default Advice on straining system [Noob alert!]

I'm just getting into beekeeping, and I'm considering equipment options..
    Has anyone here used one of these?

http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...oductinfo/295/

The description would seem to imply it might be used as a substitute for an extractor. ("You can drain honey from the comb in it.") Is this the case, or am I mis-interpreting? I envision plopping uncapped frames into it, and letting gravity do the work. Am I anywhere close? And if this IS the case, what are the pros and cons of such a system?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Be well
    -UF

Default Re: Advice on straining system [Noob alert!]

This is an un-capping tub system. It will not take the place of an extractor. You un-cap the full honey frames and the wax cappings with some honey falls into the tub. The honey drains off the cappings through the mesh screen where it can be recovered in the lower tub. It is also designed to hold uncapped frames (which will drip honey) until they are placed in an extractor. Cells on comb are angled slightly up towards the top bar so gravity will not drain all the honey from the frames when hanging in this system. Michael Bush' site explains a simple crush and strain method for those who do not have an extractor.
    A government large enough to provide everything you need is strong enough to take everything you have. T. Jefferson

Gotcha. Thanks for the info! I was, indeed, misinterpreting it.

BTW, I love your handle.

Be well
    -UF

Just some fyi, Find a beek in your area that has a extractor and see if they will spin it for you. Oh one moe thing don't expect a harvest of honey this year if your just starting. Your bees won't have enough for them too.

Oh I spin out honey for the right to keep the cappings.
    99.99% of questions can be answered by Just reading books.

Fortunately, I know the president of local association (she got me into all this), and she has an extractor.

I'm not really expecting any honey this year- but I'm buying established colonies, so I've been told there's a possibility I can get a little. We'll see.

Be well
    -UF

UF, IF you are buying established colonies, and getting them NOW, or very early in April, there is absolutely no reason for you not to get a honey crop this year!

Let's assume you're getting a two-story deep brood box colony. In your neck of the woods, by now they should be getting real strong, and possibly leaning toward swarming. If you stop the swarm impulse, and start supering, you'll get a crop. All things being equal. If you super with foundation, they'll build comb on the flow, and you'll get a crop, but smaller than next year.

Even if you hive a package or nuc of bees now, on foundation, if you feed them heavily until they've drawn 20 frames of comb and grown into two deep brood boxes, you should get some honey from them this year. This has been my experience, year in and year out. If I build them up quickly, they'll produce.

Now, my suggestion is to super and keep supering to stay ahead of them. You're building comb for next year's honey crop in your extracting supers.

Perhaps the key question is: When are you getting your colonies? my opinion is that is should be soon. I'm getting nucs first Sat. in April here... and nucs mid April also. I fully expect at least 20 pounds of surplus off each of those nucs by August, and that's with them drawing 15 frames of brood comb and building into 2 deeps, plus drawing comb in the extracting super. It happened last year, I expect it to occur again this year.

Of course, the weather may have other plans for me!
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

Steven:

I'm not really counting on getting much if any honey this year. I'll be getting two brood boxes with tested queens. Due to some weird weather here, and the fact in my sitting on the fence about whether I wanted to actually do bees this year- and am therefore at the bottom of my supplier's list, the bees are a couple of weeks off. (He's doing requeening now on the boxes in his orders.) I have evrything ready for when they do arrive. I'll probably slap a super or two on top and start feeding just as soon as the brood boxes are in place. MAYBE I'll get a little honey. I'm not counting on gallons.

Be well
    -UF

I agree with SG, with established colonies you should see a surplus this year. Research your blooms you may not need to put syrup on them at all if your getting them in the next few weeks.
    A government large enough to provide everything you need is strong enough to take everything you have. T. Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by peacekeeperapiaries View Post
    Research your blooms you may not need to put syrup on them at all if your getting them in the next few weeks.
    I figure a little feeding probably can't hurt. I may go with a little syrup just to see how they take it, then do more if the girls are little lushes. Granted, the president of my local association said there should be no shortage of things on which they can forage around here this time of year.

Be well
    -UF

DON'T put your supers on and feed! Unless you want your honey in the same category as KFC honey sauce.
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

Gotcha. I've done all kinds of homework, and apparently missed one of the basics. D'OH!

Be well
    -UF