Thread: supering a TBH

Default supering a TBH

I built a top bar hive from plans at Mother Earth News. I thought I could use a 10 frame box with foundationless frames and super it. I just realised the bars in the super would be at an angle to the top bars (DUH). Is this a problem? Or should I get a bottom and do another hive with the boxes?

Default Re: supering a TBH

Quote Originally Posted by MeriB View Post
    I built a top bar hive from plans at Mother Earth News. I thought I could use a 10 frame box with foundationless frames and super it. I just realised the bars in the super would be at an angle to the top bars (DUH). Is this a problem? Or should I get a bottom and do another hive with the boxes?

I don't understand what you mean by 'at an angle to' - what angle do you mean?

If you place a super onto top bars, you will have to have a way for bees to travel up into the supers, as top bars don't have gaps.
    The Barefoot Beekeeper http://www.biobees.com

long ways or cross ways healthy bees are ok with it. leave out the front or back 3/8" spacer for communication. you can also leave a gap between two bars but expect some "burr".
    i suggest letting the bees fill out your main body because around here once the bees have a place to build up they ignore the horizontal.
    all that is gold does not glitter

I realized I wasn't clear after posting. A 10 frame super will fit sideways on my top bar without any overhang. This will have the frames in the box perpendicular to the top bars below it. Will this work?
    I have planned to put cutouts in the top bars to allow for movement and ventilation.
    Thanks for the advice about filling the box first and then supering.

Maybee you could use a partial bottom-board, and have some covered overhang?

We're having fun redesigning a set of top bars to be cut on my friend's small CNC. As part of it we're having the top be 19 1/4" so it should fit a langstroth super on top should we ever decide to experiment with that. Right now trying to figure out if we can make it so you won't need glue or nails to put it together and so it'll hold.

I read that square sides don't effect comb attachment.

I read somewhere that the Earth was made in 6 days.
    The Barefoot Beekeeper http://www.biobees.com

Ha Ha If i believed everything I read, I wouldn't be asking you guys. Thanks for the info and keep it coming, it all helps educate the newbee!