Thread: HI!

Default HI!

i live in western virginia and am wanting to get into beekeeping. i think this site will be a good source of info when i can get started.
    thanks

Default Re: HI!

Welcome! You will definitely find loads of info and advice.

Welcome, certainly is western Virginia, not West Virginia. You spelled everything correct! I lived in Norfolk over ten years. My kids are still there.

Welcome,
    Its a great source of information.
    Dan

Welcome! This is a great place with a lot of knowledge and friendly folks willing to help. If you want to get a head start and do some reading before you get your bees: Some of the best reading material I have come across and read since getting started is "Beekeeping for Dummies", "The Backyard Beekeeper", "Natural Beekeeping", "Langstroth's Hive and the Honey-Bee", and Fifty Years among the Bees". Tip: read the first 3 first, you'll have a better understanding of what the next two are talking about. Also, there is a lot of information in any edition of ABC-XYZ of Beekeeping. I've read two editions cover to cover, the latest and one from the 70s. Also, join a local beekeepers assn, and find a mentor, they are invaluable to you as a beginner.

Good Luck when you do get started and many happy years of beekeeping!

Welcome!

Yes, this is a great forum for learning more about bees & beekeeping. Be sure to check out the "How to Start Beekeeping" subforum: lots of good info covering the basics.

Also, I recommend getting involved with a local club. Clubs often offer beginning beekeeping classes and are good places to find mentors and get connected with local beekeepers:
    http://www.virginiabeekeepers.org/association_map.htm

I see that you are 13 on your public profile. I am 3 years older than you and got started about your age. You will enjoy this hobby.
    Kingfisher