Default What time of year do you use your pollen traps

What is the best time of year to use your pollen traps? I have a Brushy Mountain front door pollen trap(product#509) and a Sundance top mount pollen trap. I know that early in spring that the bees need a lot of pollen to stimulate brood growth so I wasnt sure if I should put them now or wait till later in the year.I was also wondering if they should be left on all the time or just a few days at a time.

Default Re: What time of year do you use your pollen traps

I don't yet trap pollen, but will start this year. That said, I wouldn't trap aggressively during spring build-up, a protein deficit now would take a lot of time to overcome. When swarm season starts to taper I'm sure it would be safer. Some traps can be "disengaged" to allow the bees to take in all their foraged pollen, some only take a little of it from the foragers, some are very effective and should only be used a few days each week so they can still get enough, even if it means you have to remove the trap.

I guess it would also depend on what you're harvesting for: your own use (feeding to bees) or commercial sale. I'd also like to hear what trappers' experiences are .
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

When I kept bees during the 80's, I never used it during the main flow. Then when the main flow was over, but all the wildflowers are blooming I would leave mine on full time for weeks or a month or more at a time.
    "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country." Nathan Hale, 1776

I wait until July so the Bee's can bulid up quick in Spring and then leave on throughout August, as the trap only collects a minimal percentage the Bee's still get some through. Then I let the Bee's fill their stores unabated through September with the trap doors open. Then I collect through October again for all the Goldenrod, it tastes like sweetarts. I dont think they lack for their own stores overwinter this way, and the traps collect more than I can eat, and when I jarred some for sale it FLEW off the table. People would ask "what's this?" And I'd tell them and they'd buy it before I could tell the part about every micro and macro nutrient being available in this superfood. Its like coal for the firebox, in the A.M. Its not at all hard to collect, and the populace needs it, every keeper should collect.

Could someone post a picture of a pollen trap...Im new to this and am just hearing about it. Thanks.

Go to this address site and you will see what several pollen traps looks like! Its Dadant & Sons Inc Beekeepers Store in Frankfort Ky.
    Copy and Paste:
    https://www.dadant.com/catalog/advan...2843969f4ec3c0
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 03-22-2010 at 06:29 AM.

Looking through old threads for info on pollen traps. This one seems to have the best info so far, so I thought I'd give it a bump.

I just put my pollen trap on one of my top bar hives Aug 23. So far, just a little under 1/4 cup collected, but the bees are small so I think they make it into the hive with lots of pollen still attached (which is ok with me). Goldenrod is just starting to bloom here. Hope to keep collecting for a few more weeks.

pollen trap.jpg

pollen.jpg

I put mine on in spring and stop mid-summer. Anything gathered after that is theirs to build fall bees and store for buildup. By spring I mean around early April.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

Put them on after dandelions and take them off mid-August. This works well in an area with a good fall pollen flow.
    Adam - Zone 5A
    www.adamshoney.com