Thread: Hi from Ontario

Default Hi from Ontario

New to the site but have been a lurker for a while. Kept bees when I was a kid in the 70's until I joined the army. Still had an interest in them and would keep seeing how the local beekeepers worked their bees around the world. Got back into it in 92 just in time for the mites to spread north into our area. (Ottawa Valley at the time) Moved 8 hives south to the Niagara Region in 2001 and the last three died out winter of 06. I was tired of dead bees and messing with medications but still had equipment. When I saw a swarm at the main traffic lights in a small town nearby I couldn't resist shaking it into a feed bag and bringing it home. That was summer of 08 and they were put into a old hive with all the wax cut out and no foundation. I haven't given any medication or fed them since. This spring ('10) they came through the winter very strong and are bringing in lots of pollen mid March (early for this area) So it seems I'm back in the game again. I plan to split this hive at least once this year and keep away from the medications, sink or swim. Hope to get some ideas from your site and will chip in where I can. Jeff
    Keep on keeping on.

Default Re: Hi from Ontario

Welcome neighbor to the north. Glad you're
    here.

I'm in Ontario too. Lots of great info on Beesource.
    Ontario Beekeepers Ass. meeting is coming up in Milton March 27. About an hour from you ?

Welcome back! The Marine Corps provided my 20 years without bees.

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Bee Apiary View Post
    I'm in Ontario too. Lots of great info on Beesource.
    Ontario Beekeepers Ass. meeting is coming up in Milton March 27. About an hour from you ?
    Yes about an hour depending on the time of day on the QEW you know. My bees are registered and I get the medication suggestions from Guelph but I'm not trying any more of that. If I can just keep them going that's good enough for me. Might help out the genetics a bit along the way. I still have 200+pounds of honey left from 04 that will keep us going for a while. It will make all the PB and honey sandwiches we can handle. The Ontario Beekeepers Ass. is more serious on making a living with the bees than I want to be right now. Nice to hear from you. Jeff
    Keep on keeping on.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericasBeekeeper View Post
    Welcome back! The Marine Corps provided my 20 years without bees.
    Thanks, easier to keep bees when you not doing tours of various place you don't want to be. l missed a harvest or two but the bees didn't mind at all. Jeff
    Keep on keeping on.

welcome
    A government large enough to provide everything you need is strong enough to take everything you have. T. Jefferson