Default varro chemicals unavailable

I received the following email from the new york inspector yesterday. I tried to order apigard from dadant this morning and was told that there label has expired and apigard can't be sold at this time, they did have mite-wayII in stock. does seem the government is trying to make things a little harder, luckily I have enough apigard to do my spring mite treatment.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

This is the email I got from a member of the Apiary Inspectors of America, Jerry Hayes my counterpart in Florida. Instead of rewriting this I decided to send the original message that was sent to us.

Paul Cappy

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Monday, March 15, 2010 9:06 AM
    To: aia_l@lists.ncmail.net
    Subject: [AIA_L] FW: Update on Mite-Away Quick StripT Registration in theUnited States

FYI…Jerry

Sent: Friday, March 12, 2010 3:36 PM
    To: Hayes, Jerry
    Subject: Update on Mite-Away Quick StripT Registration in the United States

Hi Jerry:

Here’s a news release that will be published in Bee Culture and ABJ, but not till May. You may be interested in forwarding it to your email list as you did the last one.

Thanks!

Liz Corbett

Update on Mite-Away Quick Strip™ Registration in the United States

Press release from NOD Apiary Products.

Mite-Away Quick Strip™ (MAQS ) is currently registered in the State of Hawaii, under a Special Local Needs registration, granted to protect Hawaii’s queen rearing and organic honey industry. Varroa was first discovered in Hawaii in June, 2007.

In January, California State Beekeepers Association applied for a Section 18 emergency registration for California. In response, the EPA stated that there “has to be a lack of viable alternatives”, and there has to be the occurrence of a “non-routine event”, in order to allow a Section 18 registration. As well, there is already a Section 18 in place, for Hivastan®, for States to draw upon. The current varroa toolbox includes Apiguard®, Apilife Var®, Apistan®, Hivastan®, Check-Mite+®, Mite-AwayII™, and the EPA even talked about the illegal use of Amitraz. The EPA did not see the need for another emergency registration.

Immediately, NOD will be pursuing a Section 3 (full federal) registration for MAQS, hoping that this will be expedited. EPA has indicated Section 3 applications for biopesticides, such as MAQS, are to be fast tracked.

NOD Apiary Products will continue to support beekeeping industry initiatives as it strives to obtain the legal use of Mite-Away Quick Strips™ prior to the Section 3 registration being granted, likely in 2011.

Please note that only limited quantities of Mite-AwayII™ are available. Production of Mite-AwayII™ was discontinued in order to gear up for MAQS production. NOD is not planning on resuming Mite-AwayII™ production as we transition our registration into the MAQS product.

David VanderDussen

Liz Corbett

NOD Apiary Products

613-398-8422

Fax: 613-398-0495

www.miteaway.com
    Last edited by wildbranch2007; 03-18-2010 at 04:16 PM.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Default Re: varro chemicals unavailable

delete
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

Won't the quick strip be quite expensive when it does become available?
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

The quick strips are in the mann lake catalog. 70strips $140.00. That will do 35 treatments.

The mitaway pads are $38 for 10 trearments.

$4 per treatment strips
    $3.89 with the pads
    Dan

I kind of wanted to try the quick strips on a few hives b/4 using them on all my hives(if they become available) to make sure they work, we seem to have a different climate here compared to Hawaii!! anyone know if they are being offered for sale in Canada??
    mike syracuse ny

Quote Originally Posted by KQ6AR View Post

$4 per treatment strips
    $3.89 with the pads
    but everything being equal, what you save on shipping should make up for or even save money compared to the pads
    mike syracuse ny

I heard the Mite away quick strips won't be granted a section 18 label; and they are having to go section 3 Too bad, I really wanted to use it this year.

Thank God!!
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries