Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Default Re: Easy 5-frame nuc plans

built 8 last weekend used 3/8" sheathing $12.28 per sheet used tite bond 3 glue and 1" 18ga staples and per someones idea from another thread painted "end" wood with tite bond 3 painting now had to adjust bottoms to 8 1/4" wide

turned out great

!!!!!!!!!THANKS FOR THE GREAT PLAN !!!!!

also the layout post

David

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post
    Here is a link to a SketchUp plan, inspired by this thread, in a Medium depth, without covers or bottoms, since I simply use pieces of styrofoam insulation for those parts.

Standard medium frames are 5-3/4" between the underside of the top bar to the outer edge of the bottom bar, with 6" between the edge of the frame rabbet and the bottom of the box, this leaves a 1/4" bee space beneath the frames. Just how I like them.
    First off, MANY THANKS to D Coates for first posting his awesome project, and then more thanks to Joseph Clemens for working out medium size.

Checking out the medium size, shouldn't the Nuc have bee space on the top too? I "ran the numbers" from a standard medium frame to get slightly different numbers on the plans. Here's my measurements that include 3/8" bee space between the frames and walls on the sides and bottom and 1/4" between frame tops and ceiling.

Sides: 19 3/8 x 6 7/8"
    Front/Back: 7 1/2 x 6 1/8"
    Top: 22 1/4 x 9"
    Bottom: 20 1/4" x 8 1/2"
    End Caps: 8 1/2 x 2" (same)

Being proficient at AutoCAD (and admittedly a bit anal about drawing up plans) I just threw together a cross section to measure it out. Here's my first take at making the original plans into a 5-frame medium nuc.
    Easy5FrameNuc-Medium.pdf

Good plans,will be good for selling nucs.

I would increase depth of nuc to give 1" clearance under frames. If you use these to move frames with queen cells into, the cells often are on bottom edge and extend bellow frame 1/2 to 3/4 inch. If you only have 3/8 bee space you destroy queen cell.

Johnny
    "Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." - Mark Twain

Wink Re: Easy 5-frame nuc plans

Quote Originally Posted by Naturegoods View Post
    I know the prices on a 4x8 are better but ...... we do what we must.
    Don't buy the smaller pre-cut peices. buy the full 4x8 sheets
    Have them at Lowes make cuts. They will tell you there is a cut charge. $0.25 per cut. Who cares! that is so much cheaper than the cost of the smaller pre-cut peices.
    Old Guy in Alabama

Thanks for the Plans.
    There has been some discussions about using a bottom board or not for stacking and whether it will take the weight. Could you just use a hole saw and put some holes in the bottom to let the bees move to that box? Keeping the scrap holes or using some metal to cover the holes when you wanted to use it as a standalone?

Anyway. again Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Brewcat View Post
    OK everyone, just because I have some time on my hands and SWMBO is out all day, I tried using Sketchup for the 1st time to figure out these cuts. I'm sure once I'm familiar with it it'll go smoother, still it's pretty slick. Forgive the fonts, that seems to be an element I can't figure out.

I think it makes more sense if the long cuts go first. Something like this.

Ben's sketchy Sketchup diagram.

For some reason I get a lot more waste than others (the rightmost 5 pieces except for the center row that made the lids and migratory cleats). Am I missing something?
    Ben, have you tried the Sketchup using two 4' x 4' pieces? I'm thinking if you get a sheet at Lowe's or HD and have them cut it in half for you (I think they will both do the "first cut" free), it would be easier to work with. Thanks. -james

I went to Lowes yesterday and bought one 4x8 sheet and had them cut it into 3 sections 32" wide. They didn't charge anything for the cuts. I have a small hatchback so it's the only way.

I got 4 medium nucs made out of those with wood left over in case I made a mistake cutting, etc.. Easy to handle on the table saw with a small piece of plywood 32" x 48".

Great plans!!

Smile Re: Easy 5-frame nuc plans

I am not to swift with a table saw, but with this Easy Nuc Plan it was simple. This is genius and they came out perfect. How about Easy Medium Super Plan?......Thanks Again

Quote Originally Posted by dixiebooks View Post
    Ben, have you tried the Sketchup using two 4' x 4' pieces? I'm thinking if you get a sheet at Lowe's or HD and have them cut it in half for you (I think they will both do the "first cut" free), it would be easier to work with. Thanks. -james
    Personally, I like the 2 '4 X '4 pieces as they are easier to handle and get clean cuts with, but I have no drawings. Also, Ben are you taking into account the material that will be consumed with the curfs?

I'll be make some more of these without bottoms this winter from something I tried this year. I have 2 1" x 1/2" entrances on opposite end corners. Place on a solid sheet bottom cut to size with a feeder top. Put a separator in there and use it as a double queen rearing nuc. When the season is over and the queens have been removed, add a drawn frame, combine the bottomless nuc on top of a queenright nuc and you've got a 10 frame vertical nuc. It also gives you a cheap quick answer if one of your nucs needs more space ASAP.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

Quote Originally Posted by Broke-T View Post
    I would increase depth of nuc to give 1" clearance under frames. If you use these to move frames with queen cells into, the cells often are on bottom edge and extend bellow frame 1/2 to 3/4 inch. If you only have 3/8 bee space you destroy queen cell.

Johnny
    I too was wondering about this space issue that Johnny brought up... could anyone that has built and used the nucs so far talk a little about it? I am getting ready to build some this winter and can easily built them either way. What do you think about Johnny's suggestion?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Broke-T

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I too was wondering about this space issue that Johnny brought up... could anyone that has built and used the nucs so far talk a little about it? I am getting ready to build some this winter and can easily built them either way. What do you think about Johnny's suggestion?
    Bump. Curious about this as well.
    Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless.
    Thomas A. Edison

Go ahead. It should be no serious problem. The worst I could see happening is you'll get some bur comb.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

Thanks D for responding.
    Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless.
    Thomas A. Edison

Lightbulb Damaged queen cells on bottom of frames

Making the nucs deeper makes sense. Here in this video that I was watching on youtube the other day, the beekeeper removes a frame with (6) queen cells on it. He discovers that in the process of removing the frame, (5) of the queen cells were destroyed.

The video is rather lengthy, but if you move ahead to 19:15 in it, you will see where he finds the damaged cells.

I thought this might aid in the discussion on this matter. I am am new at beekeeping, and happened upon this segment in my quest to learn more about beekeeping.

Hope it helps!

Thanks for posting the link to the Video Tom. Very informative on doing a shake down. I am going to have to try that. Dale

woot. Thanks Coates I made 4 of these today.. pretty easy for a white boy with no wood working skill.
    "It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata

I have a nuc box with an extra inch or so of depth, the burr comb is a huge nuisance. I'd sooner have a rim that I could add below when needed and keep the boxes at a standard depth.

I make mine all medium depth, if I made them an extra inch deep, it would be annoying when I grow the nuce to two or three deep. Having some rims, as suggested, sounds better, but hardly seems necessary. I rarely, if ever, use natural queen cells that I leave on the bottom edge of frames - I predominantly use cultured queen cells I raise myself. It sounds like that extra space would create queen cell protrusion problems rather than solve them. How can these kind of queen cells be grown if the space for them weren't there in the first place?

I especially like nucs made with these plans, because by using 15/32" plywood nucs I can offer my customers the nuc in its own box for transport (with a piece of screen stapled on top), at a very reasonable price. This also reduces queen damage that can sometimes occur after transferring to a mostly empty hive with many new frames, then immediately transporting them.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

I always make mine deeper. Just b/c a new frame fits does not automatically guarantee that an older slightly warped frame with burr comb will not touch the bottom, and that new queen will not be on the bottom bar
    So, I make mine with 1/2-3/4 space on the bottom. My end on my nuc is 10.5 inches long. I also run the frame dado (or with this plan the end block a little shorter) a little deeper so that I can get a patty on the top bars.'

mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast