Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Default Re: Easy 5-frame nuc plans

We built 4 of these Nucs today. Thanks for the plans. I found that 1" brads and gorilla glue worked much better than screws on my plywood.

You know what's even easier. My new air stapler with 1 1/4 " staples, oh yeah, they never went together so easy. I use the titebond II and paint the edges of the plywood before painting to keep them from delaminating. Check out my feeder on page 11 if you find you need to be able to feed them.

I like the edge glue idea. For feeding I will likely drill a 1" hole in the top and use a Collin's type feeder. I cut some 1x8 boards about 8" long and used a rotozip to cut a 5" hole into the board. I put the board on top of the Nuc with the holes centered and invert the 2 1/2 quart feeder. Feeds a lot of bees at the same time.

nucboxes.jpg

Made up some of these tonight. Even got the 11 year old off the computer/playstation to come out and help me.

I made 4 this weekend with my skill saw and air nail gun. I used 1X2 for the hive and top cleats. Painted the edges with Titebond III (it is what I had on hand). I also bought oops exterior paint for $7. Showed it to two beek friends and they are excited to make more. Since one of them has a table saw, we are going to make a day of it and knock several out.

It is an awesome plan and a great cost saver. I plan on using several of mine for traps next year.

Just wanted to thank Besource and D. Coates for this.
    Trying very hard not to kill the bees faster than they can reproduce.

[QUOTE=Nmace;798587 I plan on using several of mine for traps next year.[/QUOTE]

If made for swarm traps I suggest that you make them eight frames wide. The eight framers I made have caught some beauties.
    You can catch a small swarm in a big trap but you won't catch a huge swarm in a small rap.

I've noticed the hits on the medium nuc plan variants I did have been jumping. Guess it is that season again, just as a relink as it is deeply buried:

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...967#post621967

That gets you 6 8-frame mediums and 2 5-frame mediums out of 2 sheets of 4 x 8 (which you can get cut down to 4 x 4 at the store for easier transport)

PS - Nice boxes Frank

So, to make the 8 frame ones, you just have to make the fronts/backs and tops/sides 4.5 inches wider? Also, I have been looking for the metal disc entrances and have had some trouble finding them. I have some large plastic ones from Brushy Mountain but am worried about photodegredation over time. (which is admittedly optimistic for a newbee).

And great looking boxes.
    Trying very hard not to kill the bees faster than they can reproduce.

Quote Originally Posted by Nmace View Post
    Also, I have been looking for the metal disc entrances and have had some trouble finding them.
    Kelley's item: #279-disc

hey mr. coates, good job on your nucs. we're on the same page i believe. here's what i've been working on and the good thing is this is all 5/8" exterior material i get free from a storage building builder. http://s1055.photobucket.com/albums/...rent=image.jpg

Could you please tell me what the measurements on the Front, back, and sides of your nucs would be if they were made for medium frames, instead of deeps. Thanks Steve
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

Here is my version using medium frame dimensions:
    http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...2c2756&ct=mdsa
    Jim Andersen
    Desert Viking Ranch

You would reduce the height 3 inches. Everything else would be the same.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post

Now that is some Nuc material. Just a hint for those with home builders nearby, not that there is a lot of home building going on right now. But you can always get loads of that siding from scraps thrown out from new homes being built.

Nice looking nucs frank.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

I know it's been said before, but remember to put the hole up on the disc so they don't accidentally swing closed.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

I love visuals, took some scrap last night and put one of those together in 30 min. (no glue, air nailer, table saw.)
    Went on line today and found software to layout cuts. Here is a sample. I would move the the front back to the bottom row and end caps beside bottom.
    Basiclly 4 rips and a bunch of cross cuts and you are done 4 boxes in no time...plywoodlayout.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by sfisher View Post
    Could you please tell me what the measurements on the Front, back, and sides of your nucs would be if they were made for medium frames, instead of deeps. Thanks Steve
    Steve here's a confusing discourse I made on this subject...
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...340#post703340

I made 4 of them from a sheet of CDX plywood this spring and they worked great. If you are going to use them as swarm traps make the boxes bigger, I had a swarm come and go in one of the boxes I set out. The T-11 plywood would be a lot better than regular CDX for them, I had some delamination from the CDX I bought at Home Depot after only 3 months.

Question: what do you do for winter ventilation with these nucs? I'm wanting to use these to overwinter with. Would a 1/2" hole in the back, opposite the front hole work?

I've done that with mine, when I remember to cut the hole. Normally I remember after they are full of bees and it's too late. Some people make screen bottoms for them.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast