Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Easy 5-frame nuc plans

Here are plans and measurements for nucs I make. I think they are simple and you can make 4 five-frame nucs out of one 4' x 8' sheet of 15/32 plywood that sells for +/-$10 at Lowes or Home Depot. I use them for swarm traps, queen breeding nucs, and I overwinter nucs in them. I also leave the bottom off of some to stack on other nucs to make 10 frame nucs. I use thin 1 1/4 inch nails, titebond III glue, and I paint them to ensure I get many years of service out of them.

http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/a...4/Nuc%20plans/
    Last edited by D Coates; 03-18-2010 at 01:11 PM.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

Default Re: Easy 5-frame nuc plans

Very nice. I might have me a weekend project now !

Dimensions on the entrance hole ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Kansas View Post
    Very nice. I might have me a weekend project now !

Dimensions on the entrance hole ?
    Under the respective pictures there's a brief description. I make the entrance 2" x 1/2". By slotting it I've found critters aren't interesting in making their nest in there.

Quote Originally Posted by D Coates View Post
    Under the respective pictures there's a brief description. I make the entrance 2" x 1/2". By slotting it I've found critters aren't interesting in making their nest in there.
    "DOH!" Big "duh!" on me ! SHoulda scrolled down !

clever.

Simple, functional, and inexpensive.
    Very nice.

Does the Scrap (2) get used also?
    Where?
    Thank you,
    Aram

Quote Originally Posted by Aram View Post

Does the Scrap (2) get used also?
    Where?
    Thank you,
    Aram
    The scrap is used on the ends of the top. The one's I use are 1/2" x 8". It keeps the top from easily sliding front to back.

Lightbulb Re: Easy 5-frame nuc plans

Nice! This is the best nuc I've seen yet. I like the quick way you made the frame rest.

At a buck four bits it beats the pants off cardboard and paint can't cost more than shipping.

Top Bar Too?

It occurred to me after building my first from these plans that it could easily be tweaked for use as a top bar nuc or swarm trap. You could of course, reduce the overall length to fit your bars but that would limit its use to only top bars. I was thinking of simply adding a bar far enough back from the front wall where the fronts of the bars would rest, just like a regular frame would on the designed void. It will hold five 1 3/8 inch bars. If done with small screws, this would be easily removable to return the nuc to "Lang style" duties.

Sound reasonable? Am I overlooking any gotchas?

link to the pictures of the nucs i made yesterday
    http://s699.photobucket.com/albums/v.../hive%20plans/

Quote Originally Posted by 11x View Post
    I am carpentry challenged.
    You weren't kidding where ya.

Messing with ya. Looks good. I like the sbb addition.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

i always said i wasnt building a rolex, just a timex. it will do the same job. lol powertools are dangerous in the wrong hands
    Last edited by 11x; 03-24-2010 at 04:55 PM.

I did 4 of mine with SBB's. They are nice for overwintering but don't seem to work well as traps. I'm guessing too much light? I will also cut a hole in the screen to do a combine with a queenless hive that needs a boost. It's easy enough to repair the screen once finished.

I did forget about the cut open bottom one time when putting the nuc in my Expedition. That was an attention getter and took me a little bit to realize what was going on. Needless to say, my next vehicle will be a truck.

That is really cool! Thanks for sharing those plans.

Shane

Hi,
    Do you use an inner cover at all? Also what would be the requirements for placing vent holes. I was planning on doing a split and overwinter. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by D Coates View Post
    I also leave the bottom off of some to stack on other nucs to make 10 frame nucs.
    here's a tip for those considering building some... .screw the bottom on with screws. then you can remove it at a later date should you want to do the above.

As I've stated before, I'm a rank newbee, no bees on the place...they're coming in the late winter/early spring of '12 from about 7 miles away. Regardless of my newbeeness, I'm pumped up on trying to do some trolling for FREE bees this spring.

Looking at the Coates nuc plans, I came up with some basic interior dimensions for the nucs (I'm sure someone already had all of this, but...). These are from the plans to which Joseph Clemens (I think that's who it was) added the measurements of the medium nucs. I'm going all 8-frame medium boxes so naturally I want the nucs to also use medium frames. My figuring might be in error, so if they are please point them out to me and I'll refigure things!

Seeley and Morse at Cornell University did some research in which they used 10-liter, a 40-liter, and a 100-liter swarm traps. They stated that the 40 liter caught more swarms than did the other two...and when they removed the 40-liter trap from the test that the 100-liter caught swarms but the 10-liter did not. They didn't test a 30-liter or a 50-liter so the 40-liter can't be considered perfect but rather more in the "ballpark" than the other two size, I would think.

Two 5-frame medium nucs will be about 80% the size of the 40-liter trap. It will be lighter in weight, it seems it will be easy to position vertically against tree trunks, and the nucs will be handy for other things...I'll go with the double 5-frame nuc setup.

I have a question about the measurements/dimensions, though. My plans are to use double medium 5-frame nucs. The question that I have is in regards to bee space....what (if any) change in measurements to the plans should be made to retain bee space between the top and bottom frames? Or is that even important in a trap box?

Anyhow, here are the figures that I came up with in case anyone is interested. Ed

Interior Dimensions of Single Medium 5-Frame Coates Nuc
    18.19 Length
    7.50 Width
    7.25 Height

Volume of Single Medium 5-Frame Coates Nuc
    988.95 Cubic Inches per Single Nuc
    0.57 Cubic Feet per Single Nuc
    4.28 Gallons per Single Nuc
    16.21 Liters per Single Nuc

Volume of Double Medium 5-Frame Coates Nuc
    1977.89 Cubic Inches per Double Nuc
    1.14 Cubic Feet per Double Nuc
    8.56 Gallons per Double Nuc
    32.41 Liters per Double Nuc

Just finished cutting up a sheet of plywood and assembling 4 of these Nucs. Can't say enough good things about the plans, boy were the nucs fun to build. The only changes I made in the plans was cutting one end 1/2 inch shorter and used that space as an entrance for the box. As recommended I pre drilled the holes along the edges of the plywood and used 1 inch drywall screws and a tube of Liquid Nails to hold them together. The liquid Nails worked great filling in any small gaps and voids in the plywood and really made the boxes strong. Two coats of discount shelf paint and I'm ready to go. I'm setting two up as swarm traps and the others I will use for nucs in my yard. Thanks for posting the plans

Question Re: Easy 5-frame nuc plans

Quote Originally Posted by Beeboy01 View Post
    I'm setting two up as swarm traps and the others I will use for nucs in my yard. Thanks for posting the plans
    Are you drilling a 1 1/4" hole for an opening on your swarm traps, or using the opening prescribed in these nuc plans?

Is the hole opening an important issue on swarm traps?