Default Favorite beekeeping books

What are your favorite beekeeping books?

For me:

The Hive and the Honey Bee, published by Dadant - This is a MUST read! I read this book through several times in my first two years of beekeeping and it's been the most informative, at least from a broad spectrum, than anything I have ever read in beekeeping.

Contemporary Queen Rearing, by Harry Laidlaw - Basically the bible of modern queen rearing by the "father of honey bee genetics".

Scientific Queen Rearing, by Gilbert Doolittle - The father of queen rearing. He first used the grafting method.

A Year's Work in an Out Apiary, by Gilbert Doolittle

Fifty Year's Among the Bees, by C. C. Miller - a pioneer in beekeeping as we know it today

Beekeeping at Buckfast Abby, by Brother Adam - Created the first Buckfast strain, authority on bee breeding, honey production methods, and maintaining a sustainable operation.

The Beekeeper's Lament, by Hannah Nordhaus - Tells the story of John Miller, a migratory beekeeper & president of the California State Beekeepers Association

I need some reading suggestions!

Default Re: Favorite beekeeping books

I like the BA books, but my favorite general beekeeping book is still... Honey Farming by ROB Manley.

The Beekeeper's Handbook, 4th Edition, Sammataro and Avitabile authors.
    Stuck in Texas. Learning Permaculture in drought, guess I will teach permaculture in drought. The bees are still alive.

Quote Originally Posted by beekuk View Post
    I like the BA books, but my favorite general beekeeping book is still... Honey Farming by ROB Manley.
    My favorite too Pete.

The Beekeeper's Handbook, 4th Edition, Sammataro and Avitabile, is very good.

The Hive and the Honey Bee, published by Dadant, I am working my way through this one. It is very long and very informative. I am glad it was not the first beekeeping book I read. I believe there is a new version out.

The Practical Beekeeper, by Michael Bush is a great read to get started.

The Beekeepers Bible, by Richard Jones is informative and has color pictures which add a lot the book.

"The How-To-Do-It Book of Beekeeping", Richard Taylor
    "Hive & Honeybee"
    "ABC-XYZ"

& More recently - MB's "The Practical Beekeeper"
    After 40 years of beekeeping, I've come to realize that the bees can fix most of my mistakes.

Thanks for the responses! I just bought:

Honey Farming, by Manley

Breeding the Honeybee, by Brother Adam

& The Beekeeper's Handbook will be next.

I've got to get my reading in while I can!

Bee keeping for Dummies and the Idiots Guide to bee keeping are 2 informative books I read as a beginner beekeeper. Well written and easy to follow without overpowering one with big words that some writers like to use to make themselves feel important.
    The Hive and the Honey Bee is on my read list this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeMoose View Post
    Bee keeping for Dummies and the Idiots Guide to bee keeping are 2 informative books I read as a beginner beekeeper. Well written and easy to follow without overpowering one with big words that some writers like to use to make themselves feel important.
    The Hive and the Honey Bee is on my read list this winter.
    The Hive and the Honey Bee was originally a book by Reverend Langstroth (recognize that name?) who entrusted the rewriting of the book, for updated editions, to the Dadants in 1885. The way the editions are written is by a group of authors, each dealing with the subject with which he was most familiar. Basically, it's a combination of several books dealing with different subjects and individually can each be read within one setting or a just a few. Because of it's diverse amount of information, if I could have only one book then this would be it. And because each writing is relatively short but so well written and highly condensed I recommend it as the first book for any new beekeeper (and others as well). But, by reading other longer books that are more focused on specific subjects a person can build on the knowledge gained from this book. Be sure to buy the latest edition. I need to since mine is the one before that!

I think the contribution of this book by Langstroth greatly adds to beekeeping as much as the Langstroth hive!

Don't think you can go wrong with any Richard Taylor books.

Anything by Richard Taylor.
    Anything by G.M. Doolittle.
    Anything by C.C. Miller.
    Anything by Eva Crane.
    Anything by Langstroth.
    Anything by Tom Seeley.
    "Honeybees and Wax" and "Honeybee Nests" by Hepburn.
    Huber's New Observations on Bees.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 41y 200h 38yTF

Quote Originally Posted by RichardsonTX View Post
    Thanks for the responses! I just bought:

Honey Farming, by Manley

Breeding the Honeybee, by Brother Adam

& The Beekeeper's Handbook will be next.

I've got to get my reading in while I can!
    Actually, I just ordered Health and the Honey Bee, by Charles Mraz as another book to read this winter.