Default Great Lakes Bee Supply Long Hive...thoughts?

This year I will have 2 hives going. I came across this as I was looking for some bee keeping supplies. Curios if anyone has any experience with this hive or something similar. I got to admit it looks pretty appealing. I like that it fits all Langstroth parts and pieces. Watching the video gives a good look at it. Only thing is that it's a little pricey, but seems as though once purchased it might be easily reproduced once you can get all the correct measurements.

Looks very interesting to me.

overview:
    http://greatlakesgeneralstore.com/Gr...ive_p_305.html

video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3n-blbnTx4

Default Re: Great Lakes Bee Supply Long Hive...thoughts?

Look carefully at the inside of the raised lid. That is OSB (oriented strand board) that you are looking at.

Nothing wrong with OSB* in a dry environment (like inside the protected shell of a house). But the [humid] insides of a $350 hive is not a suitable environment for OSB.

*There is an OSB product called Advantech that has additional resins compared to standard OSB that some are using for hive lids and some bodies. Life expectancy so far seems to be decent. But standard OSB is a lot different than Advantech, and I bet that the hive lid in question is standard OSB.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Could you seal it or paint the OSB to help that? I'm pretty ignorant to these things

Quote Originally Posted by bigsmooth View Post
    This year I will have 2 hives going. I came across this as I was looking for some bee keeping supplies. Curios if anyone has any experience with this hive or something similar. I got to admit it looks pretty appealing. I like that it fits all Langstroth parts and pieces. Watching the video gives a good look at it. Only thing is that it's a little pricey, but seems as though once purchased it might be easily reproduced once you can get all the correct measurements.

Looks very interesting to me.

overview:
    http://greatlakesgeneralstore.com/Gr...ive_p_305.html

video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3n-blbnTx4

Build one for alot cheaper

http://horizontalhive.com/how-to-bui...th-plans.shtml

for $350 you can get a completely assembled, painted Langstroth with bottom board inner cover outer cover 40 frames with foundation, delivered to your door. Most langs are fairly universal and the frames can go from hive to hive. winter management in a lang is easier for beginners and there are more beekeepers familiar with langs, making advice on care and management easier to find. IMHO

That is very pricey.
    Zone 7a. 14 horizontal hives, 6 nucs

I agree pricey. I just kind of like the idea of this design/setup. Appealing that it seems easy to access the the hive and allow for easy addition of more frames.

~gtwaren` I'll look into the plans that you mentioned above in the link. I have a buddy who could make couple of those cuts for me as I don't have all of those tools. Might be a good project to work on.

I've had way better luck with going vertical.
    I suggest you get two packages in two yards.
    Put one package in a I dunno 30-frame long lang. Whatever they have.
    Then put the other package into a 5-frame nuc and stack them until you have the same number of frames as the long lang.
    Then compare and take notes on who makes how much weight by winter.
    I'm betting on the stack of nucs.

Just a thought. I think y'all will get the point.
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron

Quote Originally Posted by bigsmooth View Post
    I agree pricey. I just kind of like the idea of this design/setup. Appealing that it seems easy to access the the hive and allow for easy addition of more frames.

~gtwaren` I'll look into the plans that you mentioned above in the link. I have a buddy who could make couple of those cuts for me as I don't have all of those tools. Might be a good project to work on.
    I love my horizontal hives! So easy to work.
    They are very easy to make and perhaps you can help your buddy, learn a bit about carpentry, and pay him for his time. You would pay a lot less than 350.

download_20170422_145253.jpg
    Zone 7a. 14 horizontal hives, 6 nucs