Default Different size frames

I collected a beehive that had a medium sized box for a hive body. My other hives are not strong enough to split so I want to split from it. This is what brings me to my question: What will happen if i put the medium frames in a deep hive body and add a few deep frames?
    Has anyone ever done this? If so, did you have good success rate?

Default Re: Different size frames

They will draw down from the bottom of the medium. Shouldn't cause any problems as long as the hive is level. They shouldn't attach to the sides or the bottom.

I have done this and shannonswyatt's description is exactly how it went. I used mixed sizes in my bottom box and it was fine.
    DsBs.Etsy.com

Thanks, I just split today and was worried that something would go wrong

3 Illinois mediums (6 5/8" tall) equals the same amount of honeycomb in 2 deep standard Langstroths (911/16" deep). How much do you prefer to lift, 50 lbs or 90 lbs? Some people prefer all 8-frame mediums, which weigh in at about 40 lbs.

Another BIG advantage is that you have only one size frame (6 1/4" frames go in 6 5/8" boxes). Any frame fits any box.

Certainly it's fine to put a medium frame in a deeper super. The bees may build comb on the bottom of the frame, but that's not a big deal.

To counter Kilocharlie, IMO, my hives have never gotten as large (number of bees) since I switched from all deeps to all western (7.625") depth hives. My experience is that the bees raise more brood when they have 9" frames in the brood nest, FWIW.

Gino - Very interesting, and Thank you! I'll watch for that, and phase into it, seeing how it works.

Also, if the data is only from the last 2 years, they haven't been the best years to judge from - not enough rain, not enough flowers, but that's over here - I see you are in Hawaii.

BTW, how much do full Western hives weigh? I've only just recently heard of that size.

Incidentally, my strongest hives are in the modified WBC hives. Standard Langstroth box dimensions inside, WBC lifts outside, with about 50% foundation, 50% foundationless comb. Mean, feral AMM-based stock, always my top honey producers. They usually go from 1 box in January up to 3 or 4 boxes tall in May.
    Last edited by kilocharlie; 05-19-2013 at 09:50 PM.