Default Why different thickness on bars?

If the frames in a Langstrom hive are all the same thickness and the bees don't care
    when they build brood, food, honey combs. Why do they suddenly care when they
    start a TBH hive and require 30mm thickness for one activity and 35mm for another?
    Is it because they are designing the comb.... not just following the
    laid out spacing provided by the sheet foundation?

Default Re: Why different thickness on bars?

When you say 'thickness', I assume you mean width. as in a 1 1/4" vs 1 1/2".

on a lang hive, the frames are spaced apart from each other and the bees will draw out the comb as much as they need to, extending beyond the width of the top bar. It doesn't matter what the top bar width is because it is open above the frame for bee space. Also beeks will and can remove a frame from a hive if the space is getting too tight. Instead of 10 frames, only 9 and so on.

on a top bar, the top bar itself is the ceiling. There is no bee space above for bees to walk over. Therefore, observing that on brood comb, bees often draw out comb to about 1 1/4" thick and stores comb to about 1 1/2" thick, allows the top bars to be snugged together yet allow bee space fin between fully drawn combs for bees to move around the hive in.

Just the same, some folks only make their top bars 1 3/8" wide all the way splitting the difference between 1 1/4" and 1 1/2"

Big Bear
    No, I am NOT a bee "Keeper". Anything I post is just my opinion. Take it easy and think for yourself.

Default Re: Why different thickness on bars?

Mike Bush published good information on his site with respect to hands on experience with top bar and provides guidance with bar width.

http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm

This topic generated a couple threads here also that should be revealed through a search. If you encounter the threads I saw, you will find success stories using different and often conflicting methods.

I have 5 Langstroth and am hopping my top bar survived winter. Stuff I like the most about the top bar is:
    Cost - got me started and cheaper to make, operate, harvest & recover from catastrophe than Langs
    Time - takes the same for building top bar vs assembling Langstroth
    Experience - Top bars force you to think, more participation with bees' habits, tests accepted practice, migrates from trodden recipe to tailored process.

Many say you get less from top bars, but at 1/5 the cost, your still ahead if you only get 1/3 the production of Langs. I'm looking forward to finding out.