Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Turning 1x4 Pine Furring Strips into supers

I've been trying to make all of my own equipment lately. So I've been at Lowes and Home Depot looking for the cheapest wood. Buying a 1x8x10 of southern pine would cost me about $13 and I could get two boxes (at best) out of it, making it about $6.50 a box. I can buy it for that price, if not cheaper.

So looking for cheaper wood locations turned negative, so I just went with cheaper wood. I bought 1x4x10 furring strips for $1.70 a piece, and glued two of them together. That would make a box about $1.70 each. But, I'm new to woodworking, so I'm not sure if there is something inherently wrong with gluing two cheap boards together to make a box.

Any woodworking suggestions?

Default Re: Turning 1x4 Pine Furring Strips into supers

when you glue wood look on the edge were you see the rings, just make sure the two peices of rings or grain are going in oppoisite directions you get a stronger bond.
    99.99% of questions can be answered by Just reading books.

I glue two planks together quite regularly to make equipment. If you do it, get alot of bar clamps and don't scrimp on the glue. Get and use a good outdoors glue. Those boards will try to twist and turn as they age in the weather, nothing worse then watching hives split because of cheap glue.
    Ernie

Gluing smaller boards together to make larger boards is what good woodworking is all about.

Some people call it board stretching. I like to use my router to cut a matching glue joint into the edges to be joined (helps to add strength to those edge joints), but that isn't 100% necessary and does reduce the width of the final product.

Such as this one, called a fingerjoint which is good for on-edge or even on-ends to extend the length of boards:

Or this one, a gluejoint, designed for strengthening edge-to-edge joints:

I use the gluejoint to lock the pieces of my covers together. It helps prevent leaks between boards.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Thanks everyone I kept racking my brain, thinking there had to be something wrong with what I was doing, but I couldn't figure out what. Using those Pine Furring Strips, I can make a complete nuc (Solid Bottom Board, Migratory Top, and Brood Box) for about $4.25. That sure beats the $37 it would cost to buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by The Honey Girl's Boy View Post
    Get and use a good outdoors glue.
    Ernie
    Have one you would recommend?

I had been using Tightbond II to glue boards together when grains are inline, and Guerrilla Glue to glue ends together, or whenever wood clue wouldn't create a strong bond.

titebond III is better, a little more expensive but WATERPROOF. We just built a bunch of supers gluing together boards with some leftover and excess we had from building boxes, the bees dont mind.
    A government large enough to provide everything you need is strong enough to take everything you have. T. Jefferson

If you are not too concerned about how the super looks you may be able to find a mill that cuts rough-cut cypress. Down here towards the coast we can buy a 1X8X10 for about $4.50 or 65 cents a board foot. Being rough cut - that means a true thickness of 1" which may be a problem - but if you are buying enough board feet you may be able to get the sawyer to cut it 3/4".

Biz-kits are great for joining two boards together too. Plus, you get to buy a nifty plate joiner!

Look for a real lumberyard, Lowe's and Home Depot are high compared to the local yards I deal with...
    Thanks for your time, Beehopper

Quote Originally Posted by beehoppers View Post
    Look for a real lumberyard, Lowe's and Home Depot are high compared to the local yards I deal with...
    I've been looking, but not finding. The local 84 lumber shut down, and there is a builder's supply, but they want to sell in bulk (I don't have that many hives, I only need like 10 boards here, 10 boards there).

Look for a guy with a portable sawmill - they always have lumber laying around - cheap - at least compared to lowes.

keep in the back of you mind, that lumber will shrink.

I think everyone learns that the hard way,
    even after being warned about shrinkage on lumberyard dry wood.

Look for at least 1/8 - 1/4 inch shrink.

They dry the wood to averages out of the bundle.

The box maker here says he buys his wood individual dry,
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Have one you would recommend?

I had been using Tightbond II to glue boards together when grains are inline, and Guerrilla Glue to glue ends together, or whenever wood clue wouldn't create a strong bond.[/QUOTE]

I too use the Tightbond III glue on all my woodware. I also use drywall screws instead of nails to assemble the hives. It is easier to assemble accurately because I am not pounding on it with a hammer. Predrill the first board with a wood screw bit and use a cordless drill with a Phillips bit to run the drywall screws in. Makes for a strong assembly. The drywall screws come in all different lengths, only problem is they are a bit more "spendy" then nails.
    Ernie

I left the department stores for a lumber yard for better quality wood. I found that it is better quality and cheaper. I pay $0.89 for 1 by 12 and $0.85 for 1 by 10. I can get cypress for what the department stores charge for pine.

im buildin all my eguip,my local home depot has a bargin bin located on there truck loading area.they cut in half eny worped lumber they got and sell them for 50 cen each.last weekend i built,18 supers.only cost me 12.00.i had to streighten them on the tabl saw but had fun.

Joseph got it going on! use router to finger joint boards and use waterprof glue. That what I did till the girls started hauling in enoughnectar to start paying thier won way some.

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
    i had to streighten them on the tabl saw but had fun.
    I like the way U think
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Quote Originally Posted by Specialkayme View Post
    I've been trying to make all of my own equipment lately. So I've been at Lowes and Home Depot looking for the cheapest wood. Buying a 1x8x10 of southern pine would cost me about $13 and I could get two boxes (at best) out of it, making it about $6.50 a box. I can buy it for that price, if not cheaper.

So looking for cheaper wood locations turned negative, so I just went with cheaper wood. I bought 1x4x10 furring strips for $1.70 a piece, and glued two of them together. That would make a box about $1.70 each. But, I'm new to woodworking, so I'm not sure if there is something inherently wrong with gluing two cheap boards together to make a box.

Any woodworking suggestions?
    Dang!

Quote Originally Posted by greengecko View Post
    Dang!
    Can you elaborate on that please?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

I am sorry to hear about shrinkage in Manitoba Canada. Buy bigger boards and faster bee trucks!