Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Disaster

Default Re: Disaster

Does it get misty/foggy in the night/morning where the hives are located?

It might be hard to get rid of dampness by ventilating if that's the case.

[QUOTE=Michael Palmer;516186]I don't think it's a myth at all. Of course they will move to the side if they are able. But, if it's cold enough they can't. Wintess a colony with a cluster stuck on one side of the hive and with honey 2 combs away...to the side. I and just about every beekeeper with any experience has seen these colonies starve. If they are so able to move sideways, then why didn't they? It's all about the temperature....and cluster size.

I've had this exact scenario happen a number of times--small cluster and extended period of cold with lots of stores to the side. I lost 2 hives this winter just this way.

I've always read how important winter ventilation is. Cold in itself will not kill a strong colony with accessable stores, but wet conditions will.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Smith View Post
    Lol, did your bees survive? Idk never thought about mould growing in cold temps, we get pretty low here -30c in extreme cases.
    Yes, they survived - but barely. I lost half the bees in the colony, at least. As I think about it more now, if all the bees had survived the poor ventilation, many might have starved instead. Even though I took no honey from them, I noticed they hardly had any left from their stores.

I'm learning a very great deal from the postings on this forum. I'm thinking about how to best ventilate my hives in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Yes, they survived - but barely. I lost half the bees in the colony, at least. As I think about it more now, if all the bees had survived the poor ventilation, many might have starved instead. Even though I took no honey from them, I noticed they hardly had any left from their stores.

I'm learning a very great deal from the postings on this forum. I'm thinking about how to best ventilate my hives in the future.

I bet they went through their stores faster because they were damp [imho]

Sam.

Sad Re: Disaster

Sam

I just checked and my TBH failed. Since they started as a late swarm, I'm guessing that they didn't build up enough. Since they left plenty of syrup behind so I also suspect they didn't have enough comb to create sufficient stores.

I also lost one of my lang hives from a split. This surprised me because they looked the strongest out of 5 and had survived up until about 3 weeks ago. Maybe they were actually about finished then. I can't even guess why and doubt I'll ever figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by throrope View Post
    Sam

I just checked and my TBH failed. Since they started as a late swarm, I'm guessing that they didn't build up enough. Since they left plenty of syrup behind so I also suspect they didn't have enough comb to create sufficient stores.

I also lost one of my lang hives from a split. This surprised me because they looked the strongest out of 5 and had survived up until about 3 weeks ago. Maybe they were actually about finished then. I can't even guess why and doubt I'll ever figure it out.
    Heartbreaking isn't it? I was almost as sad as when I had to put down my dog. Which is strange because they are just bugs. Not knowing for sure what got them is kinda annoying too.

Sam.

I'm thinking about adding a 1/8 notch to the length of each bar so the the bars can ventilate up through the attic, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to vent the attic. Putting extra hole through the roof doesn't seem like a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Zonker View Post
    I'm thinking about adding a 1/8 notch to the length of each bar so the the bars can ventilate up through the attic, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to vent the attic. Putting extra hole through the roof doesn't seem like a good idea.
    My ventilation idea is to duplicate what I do in my own kitchen. Using the principle of a simple convection cell, I just open up the top and bottom of the windows a little. Cooler, denser, heavier air comes in, hits the floor and pushes the warmer, lighter air up and out the top window. Takes out warm odor filled air in no time! I do the same thing upstairs in the bedrooms when the wood stove in the living room back puffs and sends out a bunch of smoke upstairs.

I figure I'll drill a few 1/2" holes on the long side up near the top bars. The cooler air will enter through the bottom hole entrances (on the same side), get warmed by the cluster, then cycle around and out the top holes. No wind tunnel effect - just remove the warm moist air to hopefully provide a gentle, effective ventilation. I reckon you can think of these holes on top as a chimney of sorts.

$10 says they propolize them over.
    The Barefoot Beekeeper http://www.biobees.com

I've used cork-sized hole ventilation toward the top of my hives, and the hives we sell actually have 3 such holes and I find that the bees propolize and unpropolize as they desire.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Cacklewack View Post
    I've used cork-sized hole ventilation toward the top of my hives, and the hives we sell actually have 3 such holes and I find that the bees propolize and unpropolize as they desire.

Matt
    Cool! They control their window openings too!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234