Default Please Get Your Beekeeping Club To Pass This Resolution

Alrighty folks,

Its time to see whether the BSA actually should reinstate the merit badge. Recently, a BSA official publicly stated that a primary reason BSA was reluctant to reinstate the merit badge is a lack of mentors. Put simply, who is going to teach the scouts???? Not much point having a badge if there are no mentors.

I would like for all readers of this thread to help me prove that there are mentors out there.

IF YOU REALLY CARE THEN YOU, DEAR READER, ACTUALLY NEED TO DO SOMETHING TO HELP THIS EFFORT!!!

One thing you need to do is take this resolution to your local and/or state beekeeping association and get them to pass it:

http://www.beesource.com/files/bsacl...lution.bsa.pdf

In this resoltion, the club commits itself to providing training to scouts, if BSA will reinstate the merit badge. After the club passes the resolution, it should be mailed to Christopher Stowell, at the address indicated on the resolution.

Also, if you get your local club to pass this resolution, please post to this thread to give us all an update.

Thanks,

Christopher Stowell and Neil V

Default Re: Please Get Your Beekeeping Club To Pass This Resolution

Thanks Neil,
    I'll take it to the board meeting Thursday.
    Dan

To be perfectly honest, the lack of response to this effort thus far makes me wonder why BSA would entertain this idea at all. Has anybody else printed out the resolution to take to a bee association meeting? Anybody plan to do so? If so, it would be nice to hear about it.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
    To be perfectly honest, the lack of response to this effort thus far makes me wonder why BSA would entertain this idea at all. Has anybody else printed out the resolution to take to a bee association meeting? Anybody plan to do so? If so, it would be nice to hear about it.

Neil
    I have taken this proposal to my local bee keeping club. It just takes time for things to happen.

Thanks for the update, Jerry. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Kinder View Post
    I have taken this proposal to my local bee keeping club. It just takes time for things to happen.
    I have to echo what Jerry is saying. I've brought it to the attention of a couple of the officers at my local association and I've been researching the requirement to present in our April meeting. I wasn't able to bring it up in March because I didn't attend. I hope to have good news after April 8th meeting of the Tampa Bay Beekeepers Association.

I brought this subject up at our last meeting. Ill present it and get a vote next Tuesday night.

Brent
    Ark-La-Tex Beekeepers
    Sucking the marrow of life doesnt mean choking on the bone...

I've gotten both the Tampa Bay Beekeepers Association and the Ridge Beekeepers Association to pass the resolution and the paperwork should be in the mail soon enough.

We voted at our meeting to see if anyone disapproved, no one raised their hand. Probably over 100 members present.

I mailed the form in over a week ago. Hope you guys got it.
    Dan

Last night, the Ark-La-Tex Beekeepers Club of Shreveport- Bossier City, Louisiana voted to support the Beekeeping Merit Badge. Ill get paperwork sent out ASAP.

Brent
    Sucking the marrow of life doesnt mean choking on the bone...

Our club has a standing position that we will 'mentor' ANY youth who is interested in working with honey bees, regardless of club or scouting association.

Big Bear
    No, I am NOT a bee "Keeper". Anything I post is just my opinion. Take it easy and think for yourself.

Had a Beekeepers meeting tonight and everyone approved it, gonna go to the post office tomorrow!

Both the Northeastern Kansas Beekeepers Assciation and The Kansas Honey Producers run Scholarship programs that youth age 11-18 can apply for and recive mentor for one year (but it last much longer) and a hive. I would assume that any bee keeping club would have some one that would be willing to be a mentor if the youth would just contact them. They could join the club now and by spring they would have a nice relationship built with a mentor of their choice instead of being asigned one.

Sorry for the late portion of joining in here, but I will hope that we can bring this resolution to a vote at our next meeting. Will let you know the results.

Keep plugging away, there is traction, and this group of boys is the future of our hobby/industry....
    Rob Arsenault
    Ft Vancouver District
    Troop 479
    Advancement Chairman