Thread: screen size

Default screen size

What size hardware cloth are you all using on your screened bottom board. I have read 1/8 inch and have also heard bigger so debri (dead bees and such) fall through. 1/8inch is hard to find around here but 1/4 inch is common. Wondering if that would be ok or if there would be any downfalls to using 1/4 inch. Thanks, Bruce

Default Re: screen size

I get mine From Doitbest hardware stores. I looks like you have several of them close to you. Most all carry it in stock. If not you can order it on line from the DOITBEST website and pick it up from the store. If it does not show up as a lin cut and past it. Try this link http://doitbest.com/search-hardware+cloth.dib

if one uses any bigger than #8 robber bees and yellowjackets can get in forcing them to defend the whole bottom. only the strongest hives can do that and they will all get very defensive.
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

Thanks. That helps me make my decision. Did not think of the robbing aspect. Will check out DIB hardware.

Sorry to be so dense, but is #8 the 1/8 inch 8x8?

Jerry

#8 hardware cloth has 8 wires per inch, they aren't actually 1/8" openings because the wires (diameter varies) take up some of the space of the inch. Depending on the wire diameter the space between the wires varies accordingly. 1/4" is actually #4 hardware cloth and the openings are less than 1/4" depending on the diameter of the wire used to make the hardware cloth.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

#4 [1/4"] is to large, and #8 [1/8" is to small for the small hive beetles ['shb'] to pass through with my oil trays]; which is all that I have found available locally. I used the #8 [but so far have not had problems with shb], but would prefer #6 or #7 if I could find it locally or [reasonably priced in smaller quantity].

Any suggestions on where I can find #6 or #7 reasonably priced and in shorter lenghths would be appreciated.

Danny
    "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country." Nathan Hale, 1776

Yep 7 would bee great but its like hunting chickens teeth, I got some last year but its not true 7 its 7x8 oh I did find some at one bee supply but they wanted $315.00 for the roll and would not cut it, just a little salty for me.
    I did find #8 at a local ACE (they ordered it for me) and the SHBs go through the 8 in my obersavation hive, they hide from the bees in the feeder holes
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Quote Originally Posted by savageshep View Post
    What size hardware cloth are you all using on your screened bottom board. I have read 1/8 inch and have also heard bigger so debri (dead bees and such) fall through. 1/8inch is hard to find around here but 1/4 inch is common. Wondering if that would be ok or if there would be any downfalls to using 1/4 inch. Thanks, Bruce
    1/4 inch is too big...it will allow the bees to pass through and defeat the purpose of the screen. 1/8 inch is what you need.

Betterbee used to have number 7. I probably bought them out.