Default Hello All from Sunny Briton

Hello All

I am new to bee kepping (well i dont have any bees yet)

Im located in Kent England which is the closest place to France (France is only 22 miles where as london is 70 miles)

Me and my wife are very frugal, grow our own veg, have our own chickens but have never had our own bees, which is about to change.

I have just downloaded the plans for a 10 frame langsworth hive and a 8 frame warrn hive (not sure which one to build yet) I have had a rummage in my wood shed and have enough for either but which one should i build ??

I have to clubs withing 15 miles that i plan to call in at (both dont have any meetings till the last sat of the month)

So far i have been Reading READing and READING every thing i can find about bees and for a few weeks been looking thru some of your facinating and helpful posts on this forum (from you guys )

Ill be About here and there and hope that i dont annoy you all with 2 many questions.

We use to have a wild swarm/hive at the bottom of the garden (for 3 years) but last winter thay completely died out and all traces of there hive have washed away,

So its time to bring them back to our garden as we miss them bussing about all over or garden flowers (and helping our home grown fully organic crops)

So thats a little about me, so Hello and hope to get to know you all a little better in the future.

Default Re: Hello All from Sunny Briton

Welcome, and join your local clubs. Find out what works in your area.

welcome
    A government large enough to provide everything you need is strong enough to take everything you have. T. Jefferson

Welcome Sunny! We are brand new as well, but i have been reading for a few years, and belong to the yahoo group on Organic Beekeeping, be sure to join it and read as much as possible regarding no Chem methods of raising Bees, that is the way we are gonna start out as well. This Organic Group has a lot of info and help . I also want anyone here to chime in on topics or links here on Organic Beeking so we can read up some , Thank you. Take it easy, and enjoy your new adventure in Bees, it is worth it ,and a special addition to your homestead, AJ and Denise
    PS we raise Jersey Cows in a small way and enjoy the creamy Milk Raw ofcourse.

Welcome, you will not go wrong with either hive design. If you build it they will live there. Beekeepers are more obsessed with hive design than bees. We want pretty, strong, enduring, etc. The bees want safe shelter with a place to store honey for us to take from them.

Have a look in the Scottish beekeepers association website for hive plans.I build all my own hives and use britrish nationals and commercial hives.These are pretty much standard overhere although the langstroth has some following.Go on to the British Beekeepers Assn site for info about your local clubs.BBKA post a list of Associations and I would certainly join one as a priority before taking on a colony.That way you will avoid a lot of pitfalls and expense.

Welcome and Good Luck ! You'll find a lot of nice people here

welcome to beekeeping from across the pond. weather here in the Pacific North west is about spot on to your lovely weather there in the UK.
    99.99% of questions can be answered by Just reading books.