Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Top Cover Design

Search previous threads. We discussed migratory covers awhile back.
    Kingfisher

Any idea where one can purchase the metal that is on the telescoping covers? It seems that it might be a good idea to add the metal to the plywood covers to extend the life. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Comoesq View Post
    Any idea where one can purchase the metal that is on the telescoping covers?
    Betterbee has galvanized cover pans for sale. 10 for $59.95.

Wayne

How you going to raise small hive beetles without an inner cover for them to hide with?

In the Ducting section (plumbing dept) of Home Depot you can get thin sheets of Galvenized sheet metal for a few bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by waynesgarden View Post
    Betterbee has galvanized cover pans for sale. 10 for $59.95.
    Wayne
    I just built a few migratory covers for next season. A 1"x10"x10' White Pine board cost $13.80. I can get six 20" boards out of it. Rip three of them down to 7 1/16" and glue each to one of the thicker boards. Use the scrap wood from ripping to make ends for the covers. Bam, you got three migratory covers out of white pine for $4.60 each. A heck of a lot cheaper than the $10 a cover mann lake sells them for.

Still not cheaper than using plywood, but I don't have a truck and transporting a sheet of plywood is a b*tch when you strap it to the roof of your scion and go down the highway. You could have lowes or HD cut it for you, but the workers don't give a crap and I've had them screw up more often then they do it right, so I'd rather just cut it myself.

But if I can get a migratory top for $4.60, why pay $6.00 (plus shipping) to put a galvanized cover on it? I'd be better off riding the migratory cover till it breaks and replacing it. Two migratory covers at $4.60 each is cheaper than one with a galvanized cover.

FWIW if it was the same price (or close to it) I'd go with an inner cover and a telescoping cover. But when inners are running at $8.15 and teles are going for $17.45 (I prefer BM if I was going to do it), that's $25.60 per hive. I can get 5 & 1/2 migratory covers for that price (and save on shipping).

[QUOTE=BEES4U;512532]You can also use OSB if you want to cut the cost/cover.

Is OSB Ok to use? We have cut offs here at work that we throw away. I thought you cant beat free wood even if it's OSB. Would the chemicals that are used in OSB hurt the bees?

I use OSB when it's free. It doesn't age as well and I don't think it's worth buying for lids. It never seemed to hurt the bees any.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12