Default Soil Pipe Cutter

Need a soil pipe cutter that has a chain long enough to cut around something with a diameter of 15". I know many of these cutters come with 46" chains.

I want one to open up geodes. I am also a rock hound and am getting tired of busting open geodes and the pretty ones shattering while the ugly ones break into 2 or 3 large chunks.

I can't afford an expensive cutter. I just need one that works and will cut.
    De Colores,
    Ken

Default Re: Soil Pipe Cutter

Have you tried a diamond blade in a skill saw and then use a wedge hammered into the cut for splitting. You can get the diamond blades for 5" grinders also.
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

I have used the diamond blades and cut all the way through. If the inside is solid crystal it really makes it hard to shine it up. If hollow it destroys the crystals. I have used my Dremel with diamond blades and cut through all around and then used a hammer on small geodes but even then some of the fragment with a hammer and chisel. I could try the diamond blade on my skill saw for large geodes but the outside inner edge will show blade marks and it is not easy to cut a circle all around a large geode with a skill saw and be accurate.

A Soil pipe cutter will cut in exactly two halves, or as close as possible depending on the shape of the geode. And the geode will just pop open like a walnut into 2 halves.
    De Colores,
    Ken

they sell them on ebay. i'm sure you have checked the local pawn shops. maybe CRAIGS LIST? good luck,mike
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

Out here we call them snap cutters, maybe that will help you're search.
    Dan