Default Bees Wanted in Modesto,CA

My Friend is wanting to fill his old/new hives(4-5) and thought I'd look and see when the almonds will be done there and if anyone will be selling any or know of any swarms in the area. He cuts the old almond wood for the orchards and is around them most days if he's not out fishin'. He'd probably bee willing to help if needed.

He got me started 3 years ago w/ his old gear so I thought I'd try to get him back going now that he's showing interest after I had him help me w/ 3 swarms and a cutout while visiting me last summer!

Thanks and good luck this year!

Default Re: Bees Wanted in Modesto,CA

In the next couple of weeks in Modesto, it should warm to 70-75F. There are many feral hives and many managed hives. There will be MANY swarms. Put up bait boxes with old brood comb and lemongrass oil. Use a standard hive body or Nuc box to capture the swarms.

Fuzzy

Fuzzy Thanks,
    He just got back from Mann Lake and p/u some $4 med supers for traps. I gave him a bottle of Lemongrass oil this hunting season so he's ready. Thanks

My buddy is picking up the loner bees left behind after hives leave the almomond orchards. Now he needs some fresh brood or queens. Anyone near Modesto w/ either?

Quote Originally Posted by Zane View Post
    My buddy is picking up the loner bees left behind after hives leave the almomond orchards. Now he needs some fresh brood or queens. Anyone near Modesto w/ either?
    The field bees that are left behind are old and about to die so your better off hiving swarms.
    BTW:
    A nice way for someone to scalp your bees is to start loading at 3:00 PM
    so that they can make drift divides! It's very unethical!
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/