Default Opinions on uncapping tanks.

I am contemplating obtaining an uncapping tank/s for a set up for a 20 frame extractor. My lovely wife is in agreement in that I can spend this years tax refund on an extracting set-up. Used equipment is hard to come by here as there are so many new folks snapping it up.
    Looking at the catalogs I see that a stainless 20 frame uncapping tank can be obtained for less than $500, but that 10 frame plastic uncapping tubs can be obtained for about $100. Are there any inherent disadvantages with the plastic tubs? I was thinking that I could just buy 2 of these and save $300. What opinions do the sages have? Adrian.

Default Re: Opinions on uncapping tanks.

Find a stainless steel sink on legs. Use 2 pcs of 3/4" x 3/4" x length of sink stainless steel angle across the top to hold frames. If you luck out you can find one with a drip tray on one end. Uncap onto drip tray and hang frames in sink. Hook up drain plumbing(with slip collars that are used to attach sink plumbing so it can easily be disassembled for cleaning) to come out at end opposite of where you uncap. On the end of that horizontal drain pipe have an elbow(attached with threads or slip collar so it doen't fall off) and attach a short length of pipe into elbow plus another elbow at the other end of short pipe(these can be cemented together) facing down so you can pivot it up and down to control the depth of honey on the bottom of the tank. Place screening material(3/16" holes) over the drain in sink bottom to keep most of the wax in the sink. PM me if you have questions on this. I got $75.00 into the one I made and it holds 25-30 frames(haven't used it in 2 yrs so I forgot the amount for sure)
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

We offer one, just not in that price range.
    http://www.maxantindustries.com/trays.html
    www.maxantindustries.com
    American made Honey Processing Equipment "Built to last a lifetime"

Quote Originally Posted by MAXANT View Post
    We offer one, just not in that price range.
    Jake, do you ever see any of the old Maxant capping melters for sale?

Don't know how much extracting Adrian is doing, but that old melter still works great for me. When I started out, I used a Maxant chain uncapper. Slurry went right into melter, and was separated into clean wax and honey that wasn't burned. I have a Gunness now, but I still use the melter to melt my cappings.

I used the "plastic" tank for years untill I got a deal on a SS tank that will hold several frames while the extractor is running. My plastic one is not wide enough to hold uncapped frames and that becomes a problem when uncapping 12 frames for the next run in the extractor.

The SS tank I got hold of is home made and I had to add some "homeyman" alterations to suit me
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Adrian, I would think it would depend on how many colonies you plan to extract from. I've used wash tubs modified for uncapping... the new plastic ones, and last year I got fed up, and bought a nice 8' long uncapping tank from kelley's... sure am looking forward to using it this year!
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

One of the guys in my club, uses a plastic laundry sink on legs. Their cheap have legs, & a drain.
    Mount a couple boards across the top to hold the frames.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    Jake, do you ever see any of the old Maxant capping melters for sale?

Don't know how much extracting Adrian is doing, but that old melter still works great for me. When I started out, I used a Maxant chain uncapper. Slurry went right into melter, and was separated into clean wax and honey that wasn't burned. I have a Gunness now, but I still use the melter to melt my cappings.
    I have heard of these, but never have seen one personally.
    From what I have been told they really work well.
    www.maxantindustries.com
    American made Honey Processing Equipment "Built to last a lifetime"